wolram 3,732
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. That's quite a spectacle:

[​IMG]

source

which also states:
    Aircraft don't like Volcanoes as we discussed before.

4. Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can't say for sure. Could be volcanoes don't like aircrafts and they do what they can to ground them.

Edit: so far, so good. http://www.ruv.is/katla/

5. matthyaouw

matthyaouw 1,216
    Gold Member

6. Does anyone know where one can find satellite images of the ash cloud?

7. wolram

wolram 3,732
    Gold Member

Im not sure if the (cloud) would show up.

8. cristo

cristo 8,394
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Icelandic volcano closes northern European airspace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

I have to say, it's eerily quiet with no planes overhead!

9. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Re: Icelandic volcano closes northern European airspace

Very quiet in New England just after 9-11, too. Only military planes. It's odd what you get used to. I hope that volcano settles down soon - that's a pretty wide-spread disruption.

10. Evo

11. lisab

From one of Evo's links:

[​IMG]

Any PFers in that area seeing ash fall? Any other signs - perhaps an unusual sunset color?

12. We are waiting for that

It has just been decided that the Netherlands air space is closed to all air traffic.

13. Borek

Sun is already low here so I went to the attic to check - and I found our roof window facing north is covered with ash. But it is less than 10 feet from the chimney, so I don't blame Icelandic volcano. So far Sun doesn't look unusuall. But then I am on the border of the marked area.

14. You can listen to the latest information for aircraft on Shannon Volmet on 5505 KHz. If you listen to Shanwick ATC on e.g. 5616 KHz, you'll hear that ATC is constantly asking pilots if they aware of the situation.

15. Anyway nothing unusual here, the sunset is pretty standard in a bit hazy weather conditions and only a few cloud.

16. There is something else worth seeing today after sunset. Venus, Mercury and a very young cresent Moon in one line. Venus is easy to see with the naked eye. You can use a binocular to locate Mercury. Just look at Venus and then move to the north-west. When Venus moves out of the field of view in a typical 8 by 40 bino in the upper left corner, Mercury will enter in the field of view.

Then knowing where Mercury is in the sky, you should be able to spot it with the naked eye.

17. Borek

Planets in one line, volcanoes erupting, in 2012 world will come to an end, I tell ya.

18. wolram

wolram 3,732
    Gold Member

19. Nothing of note here (London) from what I could see, then again, I live on the east side of a hill so my view of sunset is lame.

20. brewnog

brewnog 2,793
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Icelandic volcano closes northern European airspace

Rubbish. I was supposed to be going to Ireland for the weekend. Booo!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?