Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volcanic tourist area in Pompei, Italy

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    Last year I visited the volcanic tourist area in Pompei, Italy. I was a bit disturbed by the human dead bodies covered with lava. Nobody in the group told they were upset with those images, so I kept my feelings with myself. Have you seen those bodies?

A question that ponder my mind after seeing them. When (how long after the person's death) would be justifiable to show someone's dead body and make it a tourist attraction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Re: Pompei

Hmm..why?

I would have thought that by now, they have become..comfortably numb?

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You see dead bodies in a museum, but the "bodies" you see in Pompei are only plaster casts.

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If it is some consolation to you, the organic matter that constituted the hapless individuals' bodies were burnt to cinders in the lave encasement process.
    So, you weren't seeing the remains of bodies, rather, you saw the imprint of them.

6. Apr 3, 2009 #5

That feels better...Thanks.

7. Apr 3, 2009 #6

I'm glad that's taken care of. Can we talk about the pile of corpses in my basement now?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook