Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volcanoes Building Towards Catastrophic Eruptions

1. Jul 30, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"As you read this, know that massive forces tens of miles beneath your feet are building towards what could be another catastrophic series of volcanic eruptions if present trends in the monitoring data remain.”

http://www.yowusa.com/Archive/Jul2003/volcanism2/volcanism2.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2003 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i live less then three hours from the South Sister Mountain they described as having the bulge growing...there are many inactive volcanos here in Oregon, and also CA and WA...i find it funny that when you drive along the Oregon Coast, you will see Tsunami route signs all over, but no volcano routes

4. Jul 30, 2003 #3

megashawn

Science Advisor

I think it was on discovery that they said Yellowstone was a super volcano. It was some show about mankind once being reduced to mere thousands of population. They say it was a quake, uhhh, uhh, an island, can't completly recall.

Anyhow, they said if Yellowstone was to blow, that hole area of the country would get a face lift. Then enough ash will be released in the sky to give a nucleur winter effect.

5. Aug 1, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are about 1.5 hours away here. Luckily its pointed the other direction. I hope it goes that way...gulp...

I have seen this. The first clue was that the lakes were shifting. Then they realized that most of Yellowstone is one giant volcano. Incredible! Imagine the power of such a release. The caldera on the big island of Hawaii is another example of a super volcano. When Mark Twain visited this site near the turn of the century, he described it as a giant lake of molten lava; many square miles in size.

6. Aug 1, 2003 #5
    Then by all means, we should cease monitoring the data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?