Solving Volleyball Problem Homework w/ Max Speed & Angle

• Thread starter agargento
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volleyball
In summary, to serve the ball at its maximum possible speed, the ball must be hit with an angle of 39°.
agargento
Member advised to arrange the post content into the appropriate template sections

Homework Statement

A regulation volleyball court is L = 18.0 m long and a regulation volleyball net is d = 2.43 m high. A volleyball player strikes the ball a height h= 1.98 m directly above the back line, and the ball's initial velocity makes an angle θ = 39° with respect to the ground (see the figure). At what initial speed must the ball be hit so that it just barely makes it over the net? (Assume the volleyball is hit so that its path is parallel to the side-line as seen from an observer directly above the court, and that the volleyball is a point object.)

Homework Equations

V=V0+at
r(t)=r0+v0t+½at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, there are six parts to this question. I did four of them.

(a. is in the question)
b. What is the maximum height above the court reached by the ball in this case?
c.At what initial speed must the ball be hit so that it lands directly on the opponent's back line?
d.What is the maximum height reached by the ball in this case?

Here are my answers:

a. 9.81 m/s
b. 3.92 m
c. 12.6 m/s
d. 5.19 m

I'm stuck at e. and f.

f. In volleyball, it is often advantageous to serve the ball as hard as possible. If you want the ball to land in the opponent's court, however, there is an upper limit on the initial ball speed for a given contact point. At this maximum speed, the ball just barely makes it over the net and then just barely lands in bounds on the back line of the opponent's court. For the contact point given in the previous problems, what is this maximum initial speed?

e. If you hit the ball at this maximum speed, at what angle should you strike it in order to make sure the ball lands in bounds?

--------------------

I don't even know where to start. First ,according to c. can the ball have an even higher speed? won't it get out of the field? If not, so how do I find the maxium speed it can have? I don't get how is this different then c.

e. Well... first we must find f ;)

Would love some help. Really stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
agargento said:
f. In volleyball, it is often advantageous to serve the ball as hard as possible. If you want the ball to land in the opponent's court, however, there is an upper limit on the initial ball speed for a given contact point. At this maximum speed, the ball just barely makes it over the net and then just barely lands in bounds on the back line of the opponent's court. For the contact point given in the previous problems, what is this maximum initial speed?

agargento said:
I don't even know where to start. First ,according to c. can the ball have an even higher speed? won't it get out of the field? If not, so how do I find the maxium speed it can have? I don't get how is this different then c.

c assumes the launch angle is fixed and asks for the speed that results in the ball landing on the back line.

f take the launch angle as a variable (which will depend on launch speed) so that the ball just clears the top of the net. It then asks for the launch speed that results in the ball landing on the back line.

Beyond some maximum speed there is no launch angle that results in the ball both barely clearing the top of the net and also landing on the back line. [Unless, of course, the launch "contact point" is sufficiently high that there is a direct line of sight from contact point to backline that clears the net -- then you could serve as fast as you please. However, the given contact point in this case is not that high].

Edit:

jbriggs444 said:
c assumes the launch angle is fixed and asks for the speed that results in the ball landing on the back line.

f take the launch angle as a variable (which will depend on launch speed) so that the ball just clears the top of the net. It then asks for the launch speed that results in the ball landing on the back line.

Beyond some maximum speed there is no launch angle that results in the ball both barely clearing the top of the net and also landing on the back line. [Unless, of course, the launch "contact point" is sufficiently high that there is a direct line of sight from contact point to backline that clears the net -- then you could serve as fast as you please. However, the given contact point in this case is not that high].

Edit:

Ok, but I still don't understand how to start solving the problem.

agargento said:
Ok, but I still don't understand how to start solving the problem.
You could start with some equations.
You have the usual equations for the horizontal and vertical directions. There is only one horizontal such, but a choice of five for vertical.
They have the common variable time, so you need to pick a vertical eqn involving time. You don't care about final velocity though.
But you don't care about time thereafter, so next step is to combine the two eqns to eliminate it.

haruspex said:
You could start with some equations.
You have the usual equations for the horizontal and vertical directions. There is only one horizontal such, but a choice of five for vertical.
They have the common variable time, so you need to pick a vertical eqn involving time. You don't care about final velocity though.
But you don't care about time thereafter, so next step is to combine the two eqns to eliminate it.

For c. that is what I did. I can't figure out what's different this time... For c. I used the horizontal equation to express time, and then I put it in the equation for the vertical direction y(x)=x0+v0t-0.5at2...

agargento said:
For c. that is what I did. I can't figure out what's different this time... For c. I used the horizontal equation to express time, and then I put it in the equation for the vertical direction y(x)=x0+v0t-0.5at2...
In c you knew the angle; now you do not. Please post the equation you get in terms of the unknown angle.

haruspex said:
In c you knew the angle; now you do not. Please post the equation you get in terms of the unknown angle.

Well, in terms of the horizontal axis, we have 18=V0cos(θ)t . In c I did t= 18/cos(θ) and substituted t in the equation y(x)=x0+v0t-0.5at2 , and then I got only V0 as a variable. But in c I knew the angle. Now I have 2 variables, V0 and cos(θ)... Should I be doing something else or am I missing anything?

agargento said:
Now I have 2 variables, V0 and cos(θ).
That's fine. You need the value of theta which maximises v0. How do you find that?

haruspex said:
That's fine. You need the value of theta which maximises v0. How do you find that?

Make an equation that's equal to V0 and then differentiate with respect to cos(θ)?

agargento said:
Make an equation that's equal to V0 and then differentiate with respect to cos(θ)?
It would be more usual to differentiate wrt θ, but that's the idea.

haruspex said:
It would be more usual to differentiate wrt θ, but that's the idea.

What do you mean by that? What's the difference?

agargento said:
What do you mean by that? What's the difference?
Either should work.

haruspex said:
Either should work.

Well I started doing it and got some really insane equations... What exactly should I differentiate? I'm very confused.

agargento said:
Well I started doing it and got some really insane equations... What exactly should I differentiate? I'm very confused.
I cannot tell where you are going wrong if you do not post your working.

haruspex said:
I cannot tell where you are going wrong if you do not post your working.
Yeah you're right. I tried to separate V0 from θ, but I think I missed the entire point completely.

20161204_222309.jpg

You need to resist the temptation to plug in numbers. Keep everything algebraic until the end. There are many advantages, not least that it makes it much easier to follow your working and spot mistakes.
Also, please do not post working as images. Take the trouble to type equations in. Guarantees legibility and makes it possible to quote individual lines in order to make comments. Images are for textbook extracts and diagrams.

Thinking this through again, you won't need any calculus. You can assume the max speed corresponds to just clearing the net and landing on the baseline. That gives you three equations with three unknowns: initial speed, launch angle and time to reach the net (i.e. half the total time).
Let the initial height be y0, the net height y1 and the court length be 2L (or whatever labels you prefer).
You can use unsubscripted v for initial speed since there are no other speeds in the equations.

@agargento
One of the equations in your photo reads (assuming I am reading it correctly):
-1.98 = Votanθ(18) - (4.9)(18)2/(Vocosθ)2
That equation should be:
-1.98 = tanθ(18) - (4.9)(18)2/(Vocosθ)2

In the first term on the right-hand side of the equation, the Vo should have canceled out with the Vo from the t = 18/Vocosθ substitution - unless I'm mistaken.

And yes, as @haruspex mentioned, no calculus is necessary. You should have 3 equations: one for the x direction, and 2 for the y direction - one at the middle of the court (where the ball just clears the net) and one at the end of the court where the ball just drops in bounds. When you find the solution, please post the answer so I can check my work. :)

Questions e) and f) seem to be much harder than the previous questions. Moreover, I can't see any short cuts based on the specific numbers, so a full general solution is required. No plug and chug here.

I was going to suggest we give the OP something to shoot at, in terms of the general solution for ##v^2## and ##\tan(\theta)##.

Hey guys, sorry for disappearing, university's been rough. Anyway, me and a friend found a solution. I'll edit it in later. Thank you for all the help! Just wanted to let you know this is solved.

I think this question would have been better if it asked you to show that, for e) and f):

##v^2 = \frac{g(L^2+(4d-3h)^2)}{4(2d-h)}##
and
##\tan \theta = \frac{4d-3h}{L}##

That would be something to shoot for.

1. What is the purpose of solving volleyball problem homework with max speed and angle?

The purpose of solving volleyball problem homework with max speed and angle is to determine the optimal velocity and angle at which a volleyball should be hit in order to achieve the desired result, such as scoring a point or successfully defending against the opposing team's attack.

2. How do you calculate the maximum speed and angle for a volleyball?

The maximum speed and angle for a volleyball can be calculated using various mathematical equations and principles, such as the Newton's laws of motion, the conservation of energy, and the laws of projectile motion. These calculations take into account factors such as the force applied, the mass and shape of the ball, and the effects of gravity and air resistance.

3. What factors affect the maximum speed and angle of a volleyball?

The maximum speed and angle of a volleyball can be affected by various factors, including the strength and technique of the player hitting the ball, the weight and type of the ball, the condition of the playing surface, and external factors such as wind or air resistance.

4. How can solving volleyball problem homework with max speed and angle improve my skills as a player?

Solving volleyball problem homework with max speed and angle can improve your skills as a player by helping you understand the physics and mechanics behind the game. This knowledge can help you make more accurate and strategic decisions during a game, leading to better performance and success on the court.

5. Are there any practical applications for solving volleyball problem homework with max speed and angle?

Yes, there are many practical applications for solving volleyball problem homework with max speed and angle. For example, coaches can use this knowledge to train their players and improve their team's performance. Additionally, this understanding of the physics of volleyball can also be applied to other sports or real-world scenarios where projectile motion is involved.