What is the voltage across a resistor in an electrical circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage across a resistor in an electrical circuit, which is represented by V(t) and can be calculated using Ohm's Law or the formula p(t) = v(t) · i(t). The example given in the textbook involves the use of the square root symbol and pi in an exponential position, but the attempted solution does not involve any powers of pi. The individual expresses confusion and plans to clarify with their teacher.
FlexedCookie

Homework Statement

The voltage V(t) [in volts] across a resistor in an electrical circuit at a given time t [in seconds] is given by:

sqrt of something to the power of pi

^ that's the example i got in my book. Its just got the square root symbol, a space, and then a pi in an exponential position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
power as a function of time: p(t)=v(t) · i(t)

Ohm's Law: v(t)=R · i(t)

The nearest matching your case that I can see is p(t) = (v(t))2 /R
when rearranged to v(t) = ...

No power of Pi. :uhh:

Im very confused too. I thought i must have been missing something. Ill bring it up with the teacher.

Thanks mate

What is the definition of voltage across a resistor?

Voltage across a resistor refers to the electrical potential difference between the two ends of the resistor. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move a unit of charge (usually electrons) through the resistor.

How is voltage across a resistor calculated?

Voltage across a resistor is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In equation form, it is represented as V = I * R.

What factors affect the voltage across a resistor?

The voltage across a resistor can be affected by several factors, including the value of the resistance, the current flowing through the resistor, and the type of material the resistor is made of. Temperature can also affect the voltage across a resistor, as some materials may change in resistance as they heat up.

Why is voltage across a resistor important?

Voltage across a resistor is important because it is a fundamental concept in understanding and analyzing electric circuits. It helps determine the flow of current and power through a circuit and is essential in solving problems and designing circuits.

What happens to the voltage across a resistor in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage across a resistor is shared among all the resistors in the circuit. This means that the total voltage of the circuit is divided among the resistors, with each resistor having a smaller voltage across it compared to the total voltage. In other words, the voltage across a resistor in a series circuit is less than the voltage across the entire circuit.