1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage across capacitor

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    here's my question and the working in the same photo.. my question is to find to find the effective capacitance in the circuit i use (1/c1 +1/c2)^-1 , why should cant just take effective c =
    (1/c1 +1/c2)^-1 but must times 2 ? since (1/c1 +1/c2)^-1 is already effective capacitance. please ignore the irrelevant part . sorry for the messy work

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why should effective capacitance be the criterion for obtaining the resultant voltage across the capacitors?

One way:
    You can write 3 equations in 3 unknowns: Qb, Q1 and Q2 where
    Qb is the charge on each plate before reconnection,
    Q1 is the charge on plate 1 after reconnection
    Q2 is the charge on plate 2 after reconnection

Then V after reconnection is obvious.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. May 5, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you explain what you calculated? It is hard to understand that with those unexplained formulas.

By the way, as this is a multiple choice question, there is a shorter way to find the right answer: three out of four answers do not have the correct units.

5. May 5, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ho ho, good point! Lousy choices!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted