1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage across inductance ?

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    voltage across inductance ??

having real problems with this one, I think i got the 1st pat using w=1/(lc)^1/2

Can someone help me please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

Zryn

Gold Member

Re: voltage across inductance ??

i) That formula gives the resonant frequency in radians per second, how do you get the capacitance out of it?

Have you had a go at ii) and iii)?

4. Aug 16, 2011 #3

i got the capacitance by manipulating the equation angular frequency=1/root(inductance x capacitance)
    although im not sure if its the correct equation.

also i couldnt even make a decent effort at (ii)and (iii) i dont even no where to begin.

if you could give me an outline of how to do it ..that would be great

5. Aug 16, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In your coursework have you covered either impedance or reactance? What do you know about them?

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5

Zryn

Gold Member

i) That equation looks good. Can you do the algebra and put the numbers in to get a value of capacitance?

ii) An inductor or a capacitor can both be considered as having a resistance which changes depending on the frequency of the source. As gneill commented, if you are unfamiliar with either reactance or impedance, this part of the question may be difficult for you.

Also, since the first part was about resonance, can you think of how resonance might help you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook