1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage across parallel switches

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

The 300 micro-Farad capacitor in the figure is initially charged to 110 V , the 1200 micro-Farad capacitor is uncharged, and the switches are both open. What is the maximum voltage to which you can charge the 1200 micro-Farad capacitor by the proper closing and opening of the two switches?

I know that electric potential (aka voltage) will increase if the current decreases, and that the most rapid way to decrease current is to open a switch that has been closed for a long time. So I assume the best plan is to close switch 1, wait until the current is at its max, then close switch 2 and open switch 1. Does this sound reasonable?

I also am not sure how to calculate this transfer of current, however. Should I use the equation for potential difference deltaV = -L(dI/dt) ? I can equate L = R(tau) to get
    deltaV = -LR(tau) * (dI/dt), but I am unsure where to go from there, because I am not sure how voltage is transferred between switches.

I appreciate your time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted