1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage across R,L,C

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    I am trying to find the effective voltage across each element (R,L,C) of a series RLC circuit like the one below. I am given the following values: Ieff = 1 Amp, Veff = 1 V, i(t) lags v(t) by 45°, L = 1, f = 2/2∏ Hz, L = 1 H
    RLC_series_circuit.png

What I have done so far:
    Veff = Vm/√2
    => Vm = √2
    Ieff = Im/√2
    => Im = √2
    XL = ωL = 2

v(t) = √2*sin(2t)
    i(t) = √2*sin(2t - 45°)

i know the formulas for the peak voltages for the individual elements are
    VR = Im*R
    VL = Im*XL
    VC = Im*XC

i'm not sure if those correspond to the effective voltages or if i have to use the equation Veff = Vm/√2
    i am also having trouble finding R and XC from the information provided..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2
    I agree with your value for Xl.
    If the current lags the supply voltage then the supply voltage LEADS the voltage across R because the voltage across R and the current are in phase.
    Are you familiar with showing the voltages Vl, Vr, and Vc on a vector (phasor) diagram. Vl is drawn on the =+y axis, Vr is drawn on the +X axis (horizontal axis ) and Vc is drawn on the -y axis.
    This means, from the information in your question, that the supply voltage (1volt) will be a vector from the origin at 45 degrees to the X axis.
    Hope this is of some help
    I think that you have not been given enough information! Do you know anything about R or C?

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    Sorry....you do have enough information,I had missed the current

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4
    Imax = Vmax/Z
    => Z = 1
    (1) Z = sqrt(R2 + (XL - XC)2)
    cosθ = R/Z, θ = 45°
    1/√2 = R/1
    R = 1/√2
    From (1) I get C = 1/(4-√2)

I am not 100% sure this is correct

6. Nov 19, 2011 #5
    I got those values for R and C

7. Nov 19, 2011 #6
    thanks for the help. i got
    VR = Im*R = 1
    VL = Im*XL = 2√2
    VC = Im*XC = 2√2 - 1

8. Nov 19, 2011 #7
    I got
    Vr = 1 x Cos45 =0.7V
    R = 0.7/1 = 0.7Ω
    Vc = 1.3V
    Xc = 1.3 (gives C= 0.38F)

I think the differences are due to the fact that I used the voltage and current values in the question. I assume these are rms values and I think you have converted these to peak values.

A good result !!
    Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook