Can Adder and Divider Circuits Be Used to Create Closed Loop Inverter Equations?

In summary: VSI). This gives me the ability to achieve a higher voltage without creating a shoot through current in the output.I'm not sure I know what a "closed loop Impedance source inverter" is. When I think of a power inverter, I think of DC in and AC power voltage out at some frequency and amplitude. The output is generally supposed to be pretty sinusoidal in character, to emulate the 60Hz AC Mains, for example.What is the "modulation index"? What are you modulating, and why? You don't want a sine wave output from your inverter?What are you using for your AC oscillator? If you are aiming
kiamzattu
Hello Every1
I'm doing a project on Closed Loop inverter and There are 2 eqns which i would like to realize using electrical circuits. They are as follows:

B=2/M(V1/V2)
V0=0.1666(B-1/B)

where B,M,V1,V2,V0 are voltages.

Is it possible for to realize the above equations using a combination of Adder and Divider circuits?
Are ther any IC's for performing such operations?

Any help will b appreciated

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
anbullet said:
Hello Every1
I'm doing a project on Closed Loop inverter and There are 2 eqns which i would like to realize using electrical circuits. They are as follows:

B=2/M(V1/V2)
V0=0.1666(B-1/B)

where B,M,V1,V2,V0 are voltages.

Is it possible for to realize the above equations using a combination of Adder and Divider circuits?
Are ther any IC's for performing such operations?

Any help will b appreciated

Thanks in advance

Why don't you tell us a little bit about adder and divider circuits first? Are you adding currents, or do you want to add voltages?

Thanks for the reply.Ok here it goes.Basically I'm doing a closed loop Impedance source inverter.
Wat I'm really doing is--V2 is Input DC voltage of the Order of 30V, it varies between 25 to 30. My aim is to keep the AC output voltage(V1) at constant of 45V(Peak Voltage).M is the modulation index which is constant at 0.5. Now depending on the Changes in Input DC voltage(Which is V2), the Value of B changes which in turn changes value V0 and there by increasing the shoot through time period(Which Boosts the inverter bridge voltage and keeping my output AC voltage as constant).
Now since V2 is the only variable in the equation, on substitution of values for V1,M i get the value for B=180/V2.
Where V2=Input DC Voltage. Now this value of B which is voltage must b given to the next circuit to get the value of V0, where V0 is also voltage.
Hope I'm clear.

anbullet said:
Thanks for the reply.Ok here it goes.Basically I'm doing a closed loop Impedance source inverter.
Wat I'm really doing is--V2 is Input DC voltage of the Order of 30V, it varies between 25 to 30. My aim is to keep the AC output voltage(V1) at constant of 45V(Peak Voltage).M is the modulation index which is constant at 0.5. Now depending on the Changes in Input DC voltage(Which is V2), the Value of B changes which in turn changes value V0 and there by increasing the shoot through time period(Which Boosts the inverter bridge voltage and keeping my output AC voltage as constant).
Now since V2 is the only variable in the equation, on substitution of values for V1,M i get the value for B=180/V2.
Where V2=Input DC Voltage. Now this value of B which is voltage must b given to the next circuit to get the value of V0, where V0 is also voltage.
Hope I'm clear.

I'm not sure I know what a "closed loop Impedance source inverter" is. When I think of a power inverter, I think of DC in and AC power voltage out at some frequency and amplitude. The output is generally supposed to be pretty sinusoidal in character, to emulate the 60Hz AC Mains, for example.

What is the "modulation index"? What are you modulating, and why? You don't want a sine wave output from your inverter?

What are you using for your AC oscillator? If you are aiming for an output sine wave, how much distortion is withing your specs? How much output switching noise is allowed? How fast can your input DC voltage vary, and what kind of droop/overshoot/recovery specs are you trying to meet?

Wel My input is DC and Output is AC, Fine. But the inverter bridge of a normal VSI consists of Switching devices rite(MOSFETS,IGBTs etc), Now Mine is a single phase inverter, so the inverter topology is H-bridge type, Which means I'm havin four switching devices. Now in order to Operate my inverter i have to provide Gating pulses to these switching devices at appropriate time intervals. For this I'm using PWM technique,Thats comparing a carrier wave(Triangle wave) with a modulating signal( Sine or Square or DC wave). In my case I'm using Triangle for carrier and DC for modulating wave. Depending on the conditions (Using the comparator) pulses are generated which is given to the switching devices. Now the ratio of Amplitude of Modulating signal to the Amplitude of carrier(Peak value) gives the modulating index which is M.
In normal VSI u cannot boost the voltage(O/p always < I/P). But in impedance source inverter ther is a Impedance network (Consisting of Inductors and Capacitors) placed between the DC source and the inverter bridge which allow a boost operation( O/P can be > I/P). The normal VSI consist of 2 states namely Active and Zero states, But in Impedance source inverter another state called Shoot Through is Possible( The Switching devices in a single arm are switched on simultaneously which is prohibited in normal VSI) the boost operation takes place in this shoot through state and in the next active state u get the boosted voltage.
In a closed loop Impedance source inverter, if suppose I/P is reduced then with the help of closed loop operation the shoot through time interval is increased there by makin the O/P constant. The equations in my first post are the relations between this Input voltage and the boost Factor(B) which determines the shoot through time interval.
Hope I'm clear

What are you using for your AC oscillator? If you are aiming for an output sine wave, how much distortion is withing your specs? How much output switching noise is allowed? How fast can your input DC voltage vary, and what kind of droop/overshoot/recovery specs are you trying to meet?

I don need any AC oscillator. All the other factors like distortion, switchin losses etc are secondary considerations only. It doesn't matter much.

Hey thanks for providing the results. One of the links says somethin bout constant O/P voltage for variable I/P voltage which is my Aim... Would definitely give it a try..
Thank u very much

1. What is a voltage adder and subtractor?

A voltage adder and subtractor is a circuit that can add or subtract voltages from multiple input sources to produce a single output voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to adjust or control the overall voltage level.

2. How does a voltage adder and subtractor work?

A voltage adder and subtractor works by using a combination of resistors and op-amps (operational amplifiers) to add or subtract the input voltages. The resistors act as voltage dividers, while the op-amps amplify and sum the voltages to produce the desired output.

3. What are the applications of a voltage adder and subtractor?

A voltage adder and subtractor has a wide range of applications in various electronic devices, such as power supplies, audio equipment, and communication systems. It is also used in instrumentation and control systems to adjust and regulate voltage levels.

4. What are the advantages of using a voltage adder and subtractor?

The main advantage of a voltage adder and subtractor is its ability to combine multiple voltages into a single output, making it a compact and efficient circuit. It also provides precise control over the output voltage, making it suitable for various electronic applications.

5. Are there any limitations of a voltage adder and subtractor?

One limitation of a voltage adder and subtractor is that it can only work with DC (direct current) voltages. It also requires precise resistor values and op-amp specifications to function correctly. Additionally, the circuit can become unstable if the input voltages are not properly matched.