Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Voltage and Current Graph

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    I had to draw a Current vs Voltage graph, and they were both proportional and linear.
    i just need help with these questions : what mathematical relationshop (proportionally) does the graph demonstrate between voltage and current?

What do the slopes represent?

pretty easy questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    V=IxR (ohms law) If you graph I vs V the slope is 1/Resistance

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    i know what your talking about, but i cant remember exactly how it goes, but your talking about the 3-d graphs correct?

5. Sep 10, 2005 #4
    the relationship between voltage and current is V = IR, where R is resistance. So R is the proportionality constant. Now, divide by R on both sides to get V/R = I. Now, 1/R if the proportionality constant. 1/R is also known as conductance and is represented by the letter G.

Keep in mind that voltage and and current are only linearly related within a certain voltage range, where this voltage range depends on the circuit element in question. Then weird more complicated relationships occur. The power rating of an element describes this voltage/current range.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook