1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage and Current Graph

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    I had to draw a Current vs Voltage graph, and they were both proportional and linear.
    i just need help with these questions : what mathematical relationshop (proportionally) does the graph demonstrate between voltage and current?

What do the slopes represent?

pretty easy questions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    V=IxR (ohms law) If you graph I vs V the slope is 1/Resistance
  4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    i know what your talking about, but i cant remember exactly how it goes, but your talking about the 3-d graphs correct?
  5. Sep 10, 2005 #4
    the relationship between voltage and current is V = IR, where R is resistance. So R is the proportionality constant. Now, divide by R on both sides to get V/R = I. Now, 1/R if the proportionality constant. 1/R is also known as conductance and is represented by the letter G.

Keep in mind that voltage and and current are only linearly related within a certain voltage range, where this voltage range depends on the circuit element in question. Then weird more complicated relationships occur. The power rating of an element describes this voltage/current range.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?