How Does a Linear Current vs Voltage Graph Illustrate Ohm's Law?

In summary, the graph demonstrates a proportional relationship between voltage and current, with the slope representing the resistance of the circuit. The mathematical relationship between voltage and current is V = IR, where R is the resistance. The slope of the graph is equivalent to the conductance, 1/R. However, this linear relationship between voltage and current is only valid within a certain voltage range, which is determined by the circuit element and its power rating.
I had to draw a Current vs Voltage graph, and they were both proportional and linear.
i just need help with these questions : what mathematical relationshop (proportionally) does the graph demonstrate between voltage and current?

What do the slopes represent?

pretty easy questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
V=IxR (ohms law) If you graph I vs V the slope is 1/Resistance

i know what your talking about, but i can't remember exactly how it goes, but your talking about the 3-d graphs correct?

the relationship between voltage and current is V = IR, where R is resistance. So R is the proportionality constant. Now, divide by R on both sides to get V/R = I. Now, 1/R if the proportionality constant. 1/R is also known as conductance and is represented by the letter G.

Keep in mind that voltage and and current are only linearly related within a certain voltage range, where this voltage range depends on the circuit element in question. Then weird more complicated relationships occur. The power rating of an element describes this voltage/current range.

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential energy per unit charge, while current is the rate at which electric charges flow through a given point in a circuit.

2. How are voltage and current related?

Voltage and current are directly proportional to each other, according to Ohm's law. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and vice versa.

3. What does a voltage and current graph look like?

A voltage and current graph is a line graph with voltage plotted on the y-axis and current plotted on the x-axis. The slope of the line represents the resistance of the circuit.

4. What is the significance of the slope of a voltage and current graph?

The slope of a voltage and current graph represents the resistance of the circuit. A steeper slope indicates a higher resistance, while a flatter slope indicates a lower resistance. This can help determine the efficiency and performance of a circuit.

5. Can the voltage and current graph be used to analyze a circuit?

Yes, the voltage and current graph can be used to analyze a circuit. It can help determine the resistance, power, and efficiency of a circuit, and can also identify any problems or malfunctions within the circuit.