How can I calculate the voltage between two stationary electrons?

In summary, to work out the voltage between two stationary electrons a given distance apart, you would use Coulomb's law and integrate with respect to distance. The electric field and voltage from multiple point charges can be calculated by summing the individual values, as long as they tend to zero at infinity. It is also important to note that potential difference is not the same as potential energy and can be considerably larger. In dealing with electric potential of a point charge, integration may not be necessary as it has already been done in textbooks.
Zman
How do I work out the voltage between two stationary electrons a given distance apart apart?
I understand the definition of a volt and I guess that I would need to use Coulomb's law and integrate with respect to distance. It would be great to see the maths though as the answer that I got seemed far too big.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zman said:
How do I work out the voltage between two stationary electrons a given distance apart apart?
I understand the definition of a volt and I guess that I would need to use Coulomb's law and integrate with respect to distance. It would be great to see the maths though as the answer that I got seemed far too big.
Electric field from multiple point charges is the sum of the field of the individual point charges. The same goes for the voltages, as long as the individual potentials tend to zero at infinity. This comes just from the definition of voltage as the line integral from infinity to a point, and from the linearity of integrals.

Zman said:

You could apply the definition of potential difference, or just see where that leads in any introductory college-level physics textbook.

Zman said:
the answer that I got seemed far too big.
This could be because of your expectations. Potential Difference ('Voltage') describes the Work done on a Unit Charge (Coulomb) which would be considerably more (a factor of about 1020) than the Potential Energy between two electrons.
No need to get into integration when you are dealing with Electric Potential of a point charge; it's already been done for you in all the textbooks. Never do more complicated Maths than you really need to (or want to).

1. How do you calculate the voltage between two stationary electrons?

To calculate the voltage between two stationary electrons, you can use the formula V = kq/r, where V is the voltage, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q is the charge of the electrons (in Coulombs), and r is the distance between the two electrons (in meters).

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). This unit represents the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge.

3. Can the voltage between two stationary electrons be negative?

Yes, the voltage between two stationary electrons can be negative. This indicates that the electrons have opposite charges and are attracted to each other.

4. How does the distance between two stationary electrons affect the voltage?

The voltage between two stationary electrons is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the voltage between two stationary electrons be measured directly?

No, the voltage between two stationary electrons cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the formula V = kq/r and by knowing the values of the variables involved.