Calculate Radius & Period of Revolution of Doubly Charged He Atom

In summary: The charge of a helium atom is determined by its atomic structure and the number of protons and electrons it contains. I understand the magnetism principles behind it but am having difficulty figuring out the speed at which the particle enters the mass spectrometer. The speed at which the particle enters the mass spectrometer can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation, as mentioned earlier. From there, you can use the equations provided to calculate the radius of curvature and period of revolution.
MadMustang129

Homework Statement

A doubly charged helium atom whose mass is 6.6 \times 10^{ - 27} {\rm{kg}} is accelerated by a voltage of 2800 V.
What will be its radius of curvature if it moves in a plane perpendicular to a uniform 0.370 -T field?
What is its period of revolution?

Homework Equations

F=qvB
centripetal acceleration = (v^2)/r
P= 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that F=ma, and a= (v^2)/r, and so r will = mv/qB.

My principle question is how can I find out the particle's initial velocity in the magnetic field based on the voltage that accelerates the atom? Also, what is the charge of a "doubly charged" He atom and how do you know? I understand the magnetism principles behind it but am having difficulty figuring out the speed at which the particle enters the mass spectrometer. Thank you... I appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi MadMustang129,

MadMustang129 said:

Homework Statement

A doubly charged helium atom whose mass is 6.6 \times 10^{ - 27} {\rm{kg}} is accelerated by a voltage of 2800 V.
What will be its radius of curvature if it moves in a plane perpendicular to a uniform 0.370 -T field?
What is its period of revolution?

Homework Equations

F=qvB
centripetal acceleration = (v^2)/r
P= 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that F=ma, and a= (v^2)/r, and so r will = mv/qB.

My principle question is how can I find out the particle's initial velocity in the magnetic field based on the voltage that accelerates the atom?

Try applying conservation of energy to the motion before it reaches the magnetic field. What speed does that give?

Also, what is the charge of a "doubly charged" He atom and how do you know?

Doubly charged means that the magnitude of its charge is (+2 e), so that it is twice the magnitude of an electron.

I would first clarify the information provided in the homework statement. The mass of the doubly charged helium atom given is 6.6 \times 10^{ - 27} {\rm{kg}}, which is the mass of a single helium atom. However, since it is doubly charged, the charge of the atom is +2e, where e is the elementary charge. This information is important in calculating the velocity of the atom.

To find the initial velocity of the atom, we can use the equation F=qvB, where F is the force exerted on the atom, q is its charge, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. In this case, the force is provided by the voltage of 2800 V, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for v: v = F/(qB). Plugging in the values, we get v = (2800 V)/(2e)(0.370 T) = 1.5 \times 10^6 m/s.

Using this initial velocity, we can now calculate the radius of curvature using the equation r = mv/(qB). Plugging in the values, we get r = (6.6 \times 10^{ - 27} {\rm{kg}})(1.5 \times 10^6 m/s)/(2e)(0.370 T) = 2.8 \times 10^{-4} m.

To find the period of revolution, we can use the equation P = 1/f, where P is the period and f is the frequency. The frequency is given by the equation f = v/(2\pi r), where v is the velocity and r is the radius of curvature. Plugging in the values, we get f = (1.5 \times 10^6 m/s)/(2\pi)(2.8 \times 10^{-4} m) = 1.4 \times 10^9 Hz. Finally, the period is P = 1/(1.4 \times 10^9 Hz) = 7.1 \times 10^{-10} s.

In summary, the radius of curvature of the doubly charged helium atom in a uniform magnetic field of 0.370 T is 2.8 \times 10^{-4} m and its period of revolution is 7.1 \times 10^{-10} s.

1. How do you calculate the radius of a doubly charged He atom?

The radius of a doubly charged He atom can be calculated using the Bohr radius formula, which is given by r = n^2 * h^2 / (4π^2 * μ * e^2), where n is the principal quantum number, h is the Planck's constant, μ is the reduced mass of the electron and nucleus, and e is the elementary charge.

2. What is the period of revolution for a doubly charged He atom?

The period of revolution for a doubly charged He atom can be calculated using the formula T = 2π * r * √(μ / k), where r is the radius of the atom, μ is the reduced mass, and k is the Coulomb's constant.

3. Can the radius and period of revolution of a doubly charged He atom change?

Yes, the radius and period of revolution of a doubly charged He atom can change under different conditions such as changes in temperature, pressure, or external electric or magnetic fields. These changes can affect the motion of the electrons and the nucleus, thus altering the radius and period of revolution.

4. How does the radius and period of revolution of a doubly charged He atom compare to that of a singly charged He atom?

The radius and period of revolution of a doubly charged He atom are smaller than that of a singly charged He atom. This is because the doubly charged He atom has a higher positive charge, which attracts the negatively charged electrons more strongly, resulting in a smaller radius and faster period of revolution.

5. Why is it important to calculate the radius and period of revolution of a doubly charged He atom?

Calculating the radius and period of revolution of a doubly charged He atom can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It can also help in understanding chemical reactions involving He atoms, and in studying the effects of external factors on the motion of electrons and nuclei in atoms.