1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage, current and resistance question, can someone please check if this is correct?

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.5 volt battery is short-circuited by a 2–meter long wire having a resistance of 0.02 ohm per meter. How large is the current flowing through the wire (before the wire or the battery burn out)?

2. Relevant equations
    Voltage = Ampere x Resistance
    Ampere = Voltage/Resistance

3. The attempt at a solution

Ampere = 1.5 V / 0.02 ohm x 2 m (0.04 ohm/m)
    Ampere = 37.5 Amperes

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Ampere = 1.5 V / 0.02 ohm x 2 m (0.04 ohm/m)" is not really a good expression but yes, your answer is right and I think you clearly understand what you are doing even if you did not express it well mathematically. Without units, it's just 1.5/.04 = 37.5

You should express it mathematically in a way that makes the units come out right

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your answer is fine, but your work is a little off in the units. In the first line above, you have .02 ohm x 2 m, and get .04 ohm/m. The numbers are right, but the units aren't. They should be .02 ohm/m x 2 m, which results in .04 ohm, not ohm/m.

Some suggestions:
    Instead of writing this -- 1.5 V / 0.02 ohm x 2 m (0.04 ohm/m) -- as 1.5 V /(0.02 ohm/m x 2m). In other words, use parentheses around the two factors in the denominator. If you write a/bc, most will interpret this as (a/b) times c, rather than a divided by (bc).

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4
    Oh O.k I see...thank you very much, I will adjust my units :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted