Voltage/Current reading negative on data-logger, and reading positive on multimeter

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am taking the readings of voltage/current in a small induction generator; the readings are conveyed as negative on the voltage/current sensors on my data-logger, and positive on the multimeter in both areas. When the magnet passes through the coil, and power is generated, it continues to display the reading as negative in both areas on the data-logger.

2. Relevant equations
    What might be the cause for this? And what might a solution be?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to establish if the cause was the wrong placement of multimeter/voltage/current sensor probes, but it was no avail.
    Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Re: Voltage/Current reading negative on data-logger, and reading positive on multimet

Exchange the leads until they agree.

4. Redbelly98

Redbelly98 12,029
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Voltage/Current reading negative on data-logger, and reading positive on multimet

Moderator's note: thread moved to Electrical Engineering from the Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology homework forum.

5. jim hardy

jim hardy 4,497
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Re: Voltage/Current reading negative on data-logger, and reading positive on multimet

some definition of terms would be in order.

you have a clear mental picture of your steup
    but your words do not paint a clear picture for an audience.

induction generator?
    to me that means an induction motor being driven faster than synchronous speed.

magnet passes through coil?
    to me that sounds like something different than an induction generator, more similar to a loudspeaker voicecoil. .

Positive and negative readings on current sensors?
    to me that sounds like DC.
    if i were using an induction generator i would expect power line frequency AC.

can you clarify what kind of device you are studying, and how you're going about it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?