Solve Voltage Divider Problem with Vg=210V, R1=15.5kOhm, R2=66kOhm, RL=157.5kOhm

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the voltage "v0" given specific values for Vg, R1, R2, and RL. The solution involves combining R1 and R2 in series and using RL as R2 in the voltage divider formula. The final answer is found by working out the parallel combination of R2 and RL, putting it in series with R1, and using the voltage divider formula. Alternatively, the total current can be calculated and used to find the voltage across each resistor using Ohm's Law.
truettct
This is the problem.

Given that Vg is 210 V, R1 is 15.5 kOhm, R2 is 66 kOhm and RL is 157.5 kOhm, find the voltage "v0" (Hint: Use the voltage divider concept.)

My attempt at the problem was to combine R1 and R2 through series and use RL as R2 in the voltage divider formula.

The answer I came up with was 71.61V.

Attachments

• voltage divider 1.jpg
    voltage divider 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get that answer.

You need to work out the parallel combination of R2 and RL. Call this R3.

Then put this in series with R1.

The output voltage can then be worked out by the voltage divider formula. (210 * R3 / (R1 + R3) )

OR, you can work out the total current (by I = Vg / Rtotal) and hence work out the voltage across each resistor using Ohms Law in the form V = I * R

Thanks.

1. What is the voltage divider problem?

The voltage divider problem is a common problem in electrical engineering and physics that involves calculating the voltage drop across different components in a series circuit. It is used to determine the output voltage of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in series.

2. How do you calculate the voltage drop in a voltage divider circuit?

To calculate the voltage drop in a voltage divider circuit, you can use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, and R is the resistance. You can also use the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vout is the output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two components in the series circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a voltage divider circuit?

A voltage divider circuit is used to divide a voltage into smaller parts. This is useful for controlling the voltage in a circuit, such as reducing the voltage to a level that is safe for electronic components. It is also commonly used in sensors and other electronic devices to convert a variable voltage into a measurable output.

4. How does changing the resistances in a voltage divider circuit affect the output voltage?

Changing the resistances in a voltage divider circuit will change the output voltage. Increasing the resistance will decrease the output voltage, while decreasing the resistance will increase the output voltage. This is because the voltage drop across each component is proportional to its resistance.

5. Can a voltage divider circuit be used with AC (alternating current) circuits?

Yes, a voltage divider circuit can be used with AC circuits as well as DC (direct current) circuits. However, the calculations may be more complex due to the presence of reactance in AC circuits. In this case, the complex impedance of each component must be taken into account when calculating the voltage drop.