Voltage Divider Problem

In summary, you need to use the internal resistance information from the problem to calculate what the voltage across R2 will be.
nmacholl

Homework Statement

You want to build a voltage divider for a product that uses as it's source a 12v battery and a non-zero internal resistance. You want to have an output voltage between 4 and 5 volts. The internal resistance varies from 5 ohms when fully charged to 100 ohms when the battery is nearly dead. Create a voltage divider that meets the requirements using the smallest possible resistors (doesn't have to be real resistors). You can neglect the tolerances of the resistors and the load resistance (assume it is infinite).
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8537/vdivdiagram.th.gif

Homework Equations

V=IR and Kirchoff's Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

r is internal resistance.
R1 and R2 are the resistors necessary for the voltage divider.
RL is the load resistance (which is infinite)

12v - Ir - IR1 - IR2 = 0

If we assume infinite load resistance we can treat RL as a gap.

12v = I * Rtotal (where Rtotal is the sum of the resistances in series)
Rtotal= r + R1 + R2

From Ohm's law:
I = 12v / (r + R1 + R2)

12v - Ir - IR1 - IR2 = 0
12v - I(r - R1 - R2) = 0

12v - (12v / (r + R1 + R2))
* (r - R1 - R2) = 0

Since the voltage across R2 is equal to the voltage across RL we need I * R2 to be between 4 an 5 volts.

This is where I'm lost, specifically how do I use the internal resistance information in the problem to generate a solution that gives me 4-5volts across the load resistor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the information about the internal resistance to calculate what the voltage across R2 will be.

So for r = 5 ohms what should the voltage across R2 be? The same thing for r = 100 ohms.

bob1182006 said:
You need to use the information about the internal resistance to calculate what the voltage across R2 will be.

So for r = 5 ohms what should the voltage across R2 be? The same thing for r = 100 ohms.

Okay.
Is there any way to pull out another equation from the problem. If I am interpreting your suggestion correctly you want me to use r=5ohms then solve for the voltage across R2 and get 5 volts, then r=100ohms and get 4v. But even then I have one equation with two unknowns: R1 and R2, am I missing an equation from somewhere?

Now you need to plug in the relationship between R1 and R2 back into the one of the equations for the voltage across R2 when r = 5 or 100 ohms. You will end up with the value for one resistor.

bob1182006 said:
Now you need to plug in the relationship between R1 and R2 back into the one of the equations for the voltage across R2 when r = 5 or 100 ohms. You will end up with the value for one resistor.

I seem to be missing something. What relationship have I not used yet? I can't substitute the voltage equation back into itself and I've already used Ohm's law to replace "I" with 12v/Rtotal.

Some of the equations you have are:
R1+R2 = #
R2*I = V

Using the top one you can plug it into the bottom one for a specific value of r which will give you a specific value for V and that way you can solve for R1 or R2.

bob1182006 said:
Some of the equations you have are:
R1+R2 = #
R2*I = V

Using the top one you can plug it into the bottom one for a specific value of r which will give you a specific value for V and that way you can solve for R1 or R2.

Forgive me but I don't seem to have equations like that.
My equation from Kirchoff's loop rule is: 12v - Ir - IR1 - IR2 = 0

This contains 3 unknowns: I, R1, and R2
Using ohm's law I can substitute; I = 12v / (r + R1 + R2)

It seems to me that the only equation I have that relates R1 to R2 is my loop rule equation and Ohm's law has already exhausted it's potential by eliminating the current "I".

:(

You have I = 12v / (r + R1 + R2), and at the load you have I*R2 = I = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2).
There's two values for r and two values for I*R2 = VL and from those two equation you can get the relationship of R1+R2 = #, then you place this restriction back into either of the equations for I*R2.

bob1182006 said:
You have I = 12v / (r + R1 + R2), and at the load you have I*R2 = I = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2).
There's two values for r and two values for I*R2 = VL and from those two equation you can get the relationship of R1+R2 = #, then you place this restriction back into either of the equations for I*R2.

Following your suggestions I've gotten two sets of solutions by plugging in r={5ohms, 100ohms} and VL={5v,4v}
To get:
R1={-4,-99ohms}
R2={5/7,-1/2ohms}

Now the resistors don't have to be "real" but I'm concerned because the resistors have different values for each load voltage and I don't think that's appropriate. Shouldn't the solution have fixed value resistors?

Yes, what was the relation that you obtained for R1+R2 = #?
Also when r = 5 ohms what voltage do you expect at the load?
How about when r=100 ohms, what voltage would be at the load?

I think If you have those backwards you'll get negative resistances.

bob1182006 said:
Yes, what was the relation that you obtained for R1+R2 = #?
Also when r = 5 ohms what voltage do you expect at the load?
How about when r=100 ohms, what voltage would be at the load?

I think If you have those backwards you'll get negative resistances.

I'm still not getting anywhere. I tried doing all the algebra in Mathematica and ended up with worthless results.

What new equations do you now have that aren't in your original post?

bob1182006 said:
What new equations do you now have that aren't in your original post?

I made a mistake in my first post but I have:
12-I(r+R1+R2)=0
VL=I*R2

Then you wrote this:
VL = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2) but I don't know where that came from.

Using mathematica I can solve what you wrote for R2 in terms of R1
For VL = 4 :: R2=5(r+R1)/7
For VL = 5 :: R2=(r+R)/2

If you solve your first equation for I and then plug it into the second equation you get the equation that I gave you.

In the equations for R2 in terms of R1 you didn't specify the value for r, when VL = 4 or 5 r should be either 5 or 100 ohms.

bob1182006 said:
If you solve your first equation for I and then plug it into the second equation you get the equation that I gave you.

In the equations for R2 in terms of R1 you didn't specify the value for r, when VL = 4 or 5 r should be either 5 or 100 ohms.

Right well if
r=100 ohms when VL = 5v
R2=(500+5*R1)/7
and
r=5 ohms when VL = 4v
R2=(5+R1)/2

But I don't have an equation to use these in. We used my loop equation and ohms law to get these, don't I need another equation to plug these into?

You can reuse VL = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2) to find the value for one of the resistances.

Also those equations seem to give negative values for R1. I know that if you obtain the two equations from the equation VL = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2) then you will get the correct numbers.

bob1182006 said:
You can reuse VL = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2) to find the value for one of the resistances.

Also those equations seem to give negative values for R1. I know that if you obtain the two equations from the equation VL = (R2*12v) / (r + R1 + R2) then you will get the correct numbers.

VL=(12*R2)/(r+R1+R2)
<algebra happens>
R2=(VL*r+VL*R1)/(12-VL)

But I can't substitute this back into VL=(12*R2)/(r+R1+R2) because then I would be plugging the equation back into itself.

nmacholl said:
r=100 ohms when VL = 5v
R2=(500+5*R1)/7
and
r=5 ohms when VL = 4v
R2=(5+R1)/2

Just noticed these are wrong, when r = 100 ohms the current will be a minimum throughout the circuit so you should expect the voltage at the load to be also at a minimum, 4v not 5v.

To get the equations you want you should plug in the values for r and VL into the equation like so:
VL=(12*R2)/(r+R1+R2):
4 = (12*R2)/(100+R1+R2)
Then you get another equation with the other 2 values for r,VL
5 = (12*R2)/(5+R1+R2)

Both of them have a term of 12*R2 that you can cancel out and solve for R1+R2

bob1182006 said:
Just noticed these are wrong, when r = 100 ohms the current will be a minimum throughout the circuit so you should expect the voltage at the load to be also at a minimum, 4v not 5v.

To get the equations you want you should plug in the values for r and VL into the equation like so:
VL=(12*R2)/(r+R1+R2):
4 = (12*R2)/(100+R1+R2)
Then you get another equation with the other 2 values for r,VL
5 = (12*R2)/(5+R1+R2)

Both of them have a term of 12*R2 that you can cancel out and solve for R1+R2

NVM

I solved for 12*R2 and pluged the first into the second to get R1+R2=375

That, or you can just solve for 12*R2 and equate them to get one equation.

(12*R2)=5*(5+R1+R2)=4*(100+R1+R2) and then solve for R1+R2

Okay now I got these solution sets:
VL = 5; r = 5
R1 = 216.67 ohms
R2 = 158.33 ohms

VL = 4; r = 100
R1 = 60.42 ohms
R2 = 314.58 ohms

I'm still uncomfortable with there being two values for each resistor.

So from looking at your solutions I assume you got R1+R2=375 right?
I don't get the second set of solutions though, I get:
5 = 12*(375-R1)/(5+375) = 11.84-0.0316*R1, from this I get R1 = 216.45, roundoff errors

then there's
4 = 12*(375-R1)/(100+375)

Where did you get the second solution from?

My equation for R2 is:
R2=(VL*r + VL(375))/12

I made a calculator mistake:
For VL= 4; r = 100
R2 = (4(100)+4(375))/12
R2 = 158.33
R1 = 375-R2 = 216.67

:) EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Ah I see hehe.

1. What is a voltage divider problem?

A voltage divider problem is a type of circuit problem that involves calculating the output voltage of a circuit with multiple resistors in series. It is commonly used in electronics and electrical engineering to determine the voltage across a specific resistor or component in a circuit.

2. How do you solve a voltage divider problem?

To solve a voltage divider problem, you need to use the voltage divider formula, which is Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 and R2 are the resistors in the circuit, and Vout is the output voltage. This formula can be used to calculate the output voltage for any voltage divider circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a voltage divider circuit?

The purpose of a voltage divider circuit is to divide a higher input voltage into a lower output voltage. This is useful in many electronic applications, such as controlling the amount of voltage supplied to a component or creating a reference voltage for other circuits.

4. How does the value of resistors affect the output voltage in a voltage divider circuit?

In a voltage divider circuit, the output voltage is directly proportional to the ratio of the resistors. This means that the output voltage will decrease as the value of the resistors increases, and vice versa. Therefore, by changing the values of the resistors, you can control the output voltage of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using a voltage divider circuit?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a voltage divider circuit. One limitation is that the output voltage will vary if the load on the circuit changes. Additionally, the output voltage may also be affected by changes in temperature, as well as the tolerance and stability of the resistors used in the circuit.