1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage divider

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1

I have the figure below,and i do not understand the question..It says:

Determine V0 by redrawing the ladder network above as a cascade of three voltage dividers...can someone explain to me what to do?
    thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2
    ok like using ohm's law,so can anyone help me solev this circuit?
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Can you show an example of what your text shows as a voltage divider?
  5. Oct 20, 2008 #4
    i didn't understand what you mean?
    the picture is attached..and by the way,the electrician, thansk for always helping me:d
  6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    you determine the equivalent resistance of everything except the 8 ohm resistor. then you use a voltage divider to determine the voltage across this equivalent resistance.

then you use a similar process to determine the voltage at the node where the 24, 20, and 40 ohm resistors connect. then finding V0 should be trivial.
  7. Oct 20, 2008 #6
    In another post you said you were studying for CCE. What is that? Is it a course, or is it a study guide for a test of some sort.

Don't you have course materials that explain what a voltage divider is? Is there a picture (schematic diagram) of a single voltage divider? If there is, post an image of it here.
  8. Oct 20, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Oct 21, 2008 #8
    umm cce means computer and communications engineerig at university..i have a course named electric circuits and signals..
  10. Oct 21, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And do you have a text book (or other written material) for this course?

What The Electrician is getting at is: your book (or other written material) would be a good place to look up what a voltage divider is ... or any other term that comes up in your homework problems.
  11. Oct 24, 2009 #10
    can someone post the solution, i know its an old post but now i need the answer:) i have the same question in my year.. im studying cce too !! can someone help?
  12. Oct 24, 2009 #11
    did you try to work through the suggestion in post 6 ?

you'll see, this stuff is real easy. but you've actually got to work through a few.
  13. Oct 25, 2009 #12

Science Advisor

You need to start at the right of the diagram.
    There are two resistors in series. What is their total resistance?

These are in parallel with another R. What is the combined resistance?

Now, this combination is in series with another resistor, so what is the combined resistance?

You go from right to left keeping a note of all these combinations.

If you have two resistors R1 and R2 in series with 100 volts across them, the voltage across R2 will be....100 times R2 / (R1 + R2 ) .

Now, you move from left to right starting with the supply voltage. What is the voltage at the junction of the first two resistors knowing the equivalent resistance to the right of that point?
    Then move to the next junction and so on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?