Calculating Voltage Change in a Voltage Divider Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a voltage divider circuit with specific values and the question of finding the percent change in Vx when a load resistor Rx is connected. The equations used are V1 = E * R3 / (R1 + R3), R3x = 1/R3 + 1/Rx = 1/REq, and V2 = E * R3x / (R3x + R1). The attempt at a solution involves finding V1, R3x, and V2, with a resulting percentage change of 3.8% that is deemed incorrect. Further clarification and double checking of calculations is requested.
JinFTW

Homework Statement

Consider the following voltage divider circuit with these values: R1= 10.0 kΩ, R3= 15.0 kΩ, E1= 13.0 V. What is the percent change in Vx when we connect a load resistor Rx = 10 R3?

http://a.imageshack.us/img25/1546/circuity.th.png

Homework Equations

V1 = E * R3 / (R1 + R3)

R3x = 1/R3 + 1/Rx = 1/REq

V2 = E * R3x / (R3x + R1)

Use division with the voltage solutions to find the percentage change.

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and found V1, which in this case was 7.8V

Then I found R3x, which was 13.6 kohms

After using R3x with the V2 equation it appears the percentage change is wrong. So I have to assume that 10*R3 isn't a simple multiplication of the resistance value, and that sounds right, except for the fact that I haven't taken a physics course for years and can't remember what you do differently when you multiply a resistance value.

Okay, I apologize I should have posted my results first:
V1: 13*0.6 = 7.8
R3x = 13.64

V2: 13*0.58 = 7.5

Percentage Change = 3.8 % (which is wrong)

I'm not sure why its wrong exactly, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the most part, it looks okay. V1 and V2 equations are right. The R3x equation is partly wrong but the value looks okay. Double check your numbers, and if you are still having trouble I can take another look.

What is a voltage divider circuit?

A voltage divider circuit is a circuit that divides a given input voltage into smaller output voltages using a series of resistors.

How do you calculate the voltage change in a voltage divider circuit?

The voltage change in a voltage divider circuit can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / R1 + R2), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the first resistor, and R2 is the resistance of the second resistor.

What is the purpose of a voltage divider circuit?

A voltage divider circuit is commonly used to supply a specific voltage to a component or circuit, to reduce or regulate voltage levels, or to measure the voltage of a circuit.

What factors affect the voltage change in a voltage divider circuit?

The voltage change in a voltage divider circuit is affected by the input voltage, the resistance values of the resistors, and the number of resistors in the circuit.

How do you choose the appropriate resistors for a voltage divider circuit?

The resistors in a voltage divider circuit should be chosen based on the desired output voltage and the input voltage. The resistances of the resistors should also be chosen to ensure that the current through the circuit is within a safe range.