Voltage Div. Homework: Find Voltage Drop Across 2K Ohm Resistor

In summary, the conversation was about finding the voltage drop across the 2k ohm resistor using voltage division. The result from part b was 250V but the expected answer was 50V. After discussing the equations and attempting to solve for RT, it was determined that the 6k ohm, 18k ohm, and 9k ohm resistors were in parallel with each other and in series with the 5k ohm and 2k ohm resistors, making RT equal to 5k ohms.
pat666

Homework Statement

see attached for circuit

from your result from part b, use voltage division to find the voltage drop across the 2k ohm resistor. my result from b was 250V

part b question was voltage drop across 10K resistor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

R_T=5k ohms

v=V_2k/V_T = 100v but the answer is 50V?

Thanks

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does R_T stand for?

total of the other resistors

You must have calculated RT wrong.

I get the book answer.

Don't forget the 5kΩ resistor.

can you tell me how please, I got 5k for Rt

The 6kΩ, 18kΩ, and 9kΩ resistors are all in parallel with each other.

That combination is in series with the 5 kΩ and 2 kΩ resistors.

The above is what I would call RT, judging by the way you used RT.

1. What is voltage division?

Voltage division is a method used to divide a given voltage among multiple resistors in a circuit. It is based on the principle that the voltage drop across a resistor is directly proportional to the value of the resistor compared to the total resistance in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate voltage division?

To calculate voltage division, you can use the formula Vout = (Vin * Rn) / (R1 + R2 + ... + Rn), where Vin is the input voltage, Rn is the resistance of the resistor you want to find the voltage drop across, and R1, R2, etc. are the resistances of the other resistors in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of voltage division?

The purpose of voltage division is to distribute a given voltage across different parts of a circuit. This is useful for controlling the amount of voltage that reaches certain components, such as LEDs or sensors, in order to prevent damage or ensure proper functioning.

4. How does the value of a resistor affect voltage division?

The value of a resistor directly affects voltage division because the voltage drop across a resistor is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that a higher resistance resistor will have a larger voltage drop compared to a lower resistance resistor in the same circuit.

5. What is the voltage drop across the 2K ohm resistor in this homework problem?

To find the voltage drop across the 2K ohm resistor, you can use the voltage division formula mentioned in question 2. You will need to know the input voltage and the total resistance in the circuit, which includes the 2K ohm resistor and any other resistors in series with it. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula and solve for Vout, which will give you the voltage drop across the 2K ohm resistor.