Voltage drop across a capacitor in a circuit

In summary, it was determined that in a circuit with a voltage source connected to a capacitor and resistors in series, the current through the capacitor will be 0mA after 5 time constants. However, the initial current at time 0-5 must be considered. It was assumed that the capacitor acts as an open circuit, resulting in a current of 0mA through the capacitor and 3mA through the outer window. Vc(0) is 12V and V0(0-) is 3V. The impedance of the circuit was also discussed, with a suggestion to take the current going into node A and set it equal to the current going through the capacitor and resistor. The direction of charging and discharging of
marstery
Find the voltage drop across the capacitor

In a circuit where a voltage source is connected to a capacitor and resistor in series and then connected to another resistor, shouldn't the current going through the capacitor be 0ma after 5 time constants, resulting in a Vc being 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
But you must consider the initial current at time 0-5.

The initial conditions are that the switch has been in position 1 for a long time and I am supposed to find Vc(0) and V0(0-).

Since it has been a long time the capacitor i assumed that it acts as an open circuit so the current through the capacitor is 0ma and the current around the outer window is 12v/4k=3ma so V0(0-) is 3v. Current Ic is zero but was flowing to the right and Vc(0) is 12v since it has been a long time and the capacitor has charged fully.

I don't really know how to find the impedance, but instead of what's above I would take the current going into node A, 12v/[( R1 || cap's impedance )+R2], and set that equal to the current going through the capacitor + current through R1? I can't really picture it.

Attachments

• 2008-01-20-2339-54.jpg
    2008-01-20-2339-54.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
Well that circuit is much different than your original description. Look at what is the voltage source for the cap is with switch in pos 1. Also note the caps neg ref.

marstery said:
The initial conditions are that the switch has been in position 1 for a long time and I am supposed to find Vc(0) and V0(0-).

Since it has been a long time the capacitor i assumed that it acts as an open circuit so the current through the capacitor is 0ma and the current around the outer window is 12v/4k=3ma so V0(0-) is 3v. Current Ic is zero but was flowing to the right and Vc(0) is 12v since it has been a long time and the capacitor has charged fully.

I don't really know how to find the impedance, but instead of what's above I would take the current going into node A, 12v/[( R1 || cap's impedance )+R2], and set that equal to the current going through the capacitor + current through R1? I can't really picture it.

As you said, [tex]i_C(0^-) = 0[/tex] and the current through the resistors is 3mA.
What is the voltage drop across the 3k resistor? The capacitor is in parallel with that resistor, so [tex]v_C(0^-) = V_R[/tex]
When the switch commutes, the capacitor is in parallel with the 1k resistor and starts to discharge through it. What is the steady state voltage(after 5 time constants) across that resistor?

Michael, i said series when i really meant parallel. minor details, right? I'm a little confused about the direction that the capactor charges and discharges. does that happen in the same direction, or opposite directions?

Oooh, i get the voltage now--so Vc=Vr=9v. When you say that the capacitor discharges through the 1k resistor doesn't that oppose what M..XY was saying about the capacitor being directional?

The steady state voltage of R2 should be 3v. So when the switch is thrown the cap discharges according to Ic = Io e^-t/CR and the voltage can be found by summing the current from the capacitor and the 3ma from the voltage source, yes? If that is the case then when t=0 Ic = Io*1 so the new current through the 1k resistor would be 6ma and therefore V0(0+) would be 6v. is that right?

marstery said:
Oooh, i get the voltage now--so Vc=Vr=9v. When you say that the capacitor discharges through the 1k resistor doesn't that oppose what M..XY was saying about the capacitor being directional?

The steady state voltage of R2 should be 3v. So when the switch is thrown the cap discharges according to Ic = Io e^-t/CR and the voltage can be found by summing the current from the capacitor and the 3ma from the voltage source, yes? If that is the case then when t=0 Ic = Io*1 so the new current through the 1k resistor would be 6ma and therefore V0(0+) would be 6v. is that right?

Wrong! Since the resistor is in parallel with the capacitor it's voltage at [tex]0^+[/tex] must be -9V(notice that the polarity of the capacitor is reversed). So there is a -9mA current through it (3mA from the source and -12mA from the capacitor.
And Michael never said that the capacitor was directional. He said that you should consider the reference voltage.
And I was wrong when I said that the capacitor would discharge through the resistor. In reality it will be charged in the reverse sense from the source, going from -9V to +3V.

1. What is voltage drop across a capacitor?

When a capacitor is connected in a circuit, it stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. This causes a difference in potential between the two plates of the capacitor, resulting in a voltage drop across the capacitor.

2. How is the voltage drop across a capacitor calculated?

The voltage drop across a capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage drop, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. Why does the voltage drop across a capacitor decrease over time?

As a capacitor is charging, the voltage drop across it increases until it reaches the same potential as the source. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage drop across it remains constant and no current flows through it, resulting in no further voltage drop.

4. How does the voltage drop across a capacitor affect the circuit?

The voltage drop across a capacitor can affect the circuit in different ways, depending on the type of circuit. In a DC circuit, the voltage drop across a capacitor will decrease over time and eventually reach 0. In an AC circuit, the voltage drop across a capacitor will cause a phase shift between the voltage and current.

5. What factors can affect the voltage drop across a capacitor?

The voltage drop across a capacitor can be affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the charge on the capacitor, and the frequency and amplitude of the source voltage. Additionally, the resistance in the circuit and the type of material used to make the capacitor can also affect the voltage drop.