Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage drop across resistor

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    I'm curious the amount the voltage would drop across a resisitor.
    If you know the power going into the resistor and the maximum voltage allowed is say, 50V. How would that resistor effect the voltage? I understand the voltage would decrease, and when substituting and solving equations the new voltage would be sqrt(Power*Resistance). Is there anything else someone could add so I can better understand this? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

psparky

Gold Member

Odd wording of a question....but I'll try.

KVL = Kirchoffs Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltages across the loads in a loop must equal the source.

If you are saying you have a 50 volt source and one resistor, then all 50 volts drops accross that resistor.
    The current is then simply V=IR.

Power is based off of V=IR....not the other way around.
    P=IV, so once the I and V are established from V=IR...there ya go. Or you can use P=I^2*R or P= V^2/R

If there is more than one resistor, say two....then voltage division is used.
    The voltage across the resistor you are interested is R1/(R1 + R2) * the voltage source.

4. May 23, 2013 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a proper answer, you would need to define the circuit (a diagram?). It's not clear what your actual question is.

But, if you apply 50V from an ideal power supply across a resistor then that defines the volts and the power. If the supply is not ideal then you'd have to give more details (as above)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook