Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage drop along cable

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    I have a 45kW VSD drive with pf of .9 and FL amp of 75A, I have a 350m run from the MCC to the VSD itself and I'm trying to calculate what size cable I need so that I don't exceed the specified voltage drop of 3%. The line-line voltage where the motor is to be placed is 400V and the cable impedance is say .2ohms per km.

I was looking in the australian standards and their voltage formula is as follows:
    Vdrop = (sqrt(3) * I(line) * Distance * Z(cable))/1000
    V(% drop) = Vdrop/400

What I want to know is, why are they multiplying by sqrt(3), when you already have the line value Current. I thought sqrt(3) was only used to convert between phase/line values of current or voltage in delta/star configurations. The motor has a delta winding and I'm running 4C (3C+E) out to it.

From what I understand it should be:
    Vdrop = I(line) * Distance * Z(cable)
    So;
    Vdrop = (75 * 350 * .2) / 1000
    Vdrop = 5.25V

V(%) = (Vdrop/V) * 100
    V(%) = (5.25 / 400) *100
    V(%) = 1.31%

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

It appears they are approximating the voltage drop from line-to-line of a three phase system, not line-to-neutral.

The general approximation for a line-to-neutral voltage drop is:

VD = IRcos(phi) + IXsin(phi)

where,

VD = voltage drop in one conductor, one way
    I = current flowing in one conductor
    R = line resistance for one conductor in ohms
    X = line reactance for one conductor in ohms
    phi = angle whose cosine is the load power factor

Note that I is usually assumed to be the load carrying capacity of the conductor.

The line-to-line voltage drop for a three-phase system is then found by multiplying by sqrt(3).

CS

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    You have given cable Z of 0.2 ohm/km which is value for 95mm2
    This cable has 3ph volt drop of 0.4mV/Am
    Hence VD = 0.4 *75*350/1000 = 10.5v
    Volt drop usually is % of voltage at MCC which usually 415v
    3% of 415V is 12.45v hence you are below this

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4
    %V = ( phase voltage drop / rated phase voltage)* 100

%V (in symetrical system) = ( sqrt (3) * phase voltage drop / sqrt (3) * rated phase voltage) * 100

--------------------------------------
    Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?