1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage -> Energy

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The manufacturer of a 6 V dry-cell flashlight battery says that the battery will deliver 15 mA for 60 continuous hours. During that time, the voltage will drop from 6 V to 4 V. Assume the drop in voltage is linear with time. How much energy does the battery deliver in this 60 h interval?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]p=\frac {dw}{dt}=vi[/tex]
    [tex]w=\int vi \; dt[/tex]
    [tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so this is a pretty elementary problem...but whatever. I know that at t=0, the battery will be putting out 6 V. I also know that after 60 hours (or 2.6E^5 seconds), the battery will be putting out 4 V. I used this information, along with the equation of a line in point-slope form, to find a function of voltage in terms of time. That function is...

[tex]V(t)=-9.3E^{-6}t + 6 [/tex]

Okay, so now I have a function for voltage, and a constant current, enough to use my second equation, [tex]w=\int vi \; dt[/tex], where w is energy.

[tex]w=\int_0^{2.16E^5}(-9.3E^{-6}t+6)(15E^{-3}\;dt[/tex]
    The units work out right, and I arrive at -3.25E^9 J.

Does everything look alright? Or have I gone in a totally incorrect direction. The negative value is what is really throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Since the current is constant, bring it outside of the integral.

One can also write the integrand as 6 - 9.26E-6t, which should integrate to _____?

I get a positive number.

One can do a quick overcheck with V*I*time, remembering that V*I = power.

Now since V decreases linearly from 6 to 4 V, the average is simply 5 V (J/coul), then multiply by current 0.015 A (coul/s), and time of 216,000 s.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #3
    Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why I was getting a negative number, but when I went through and re-did it, it came out positive. But hey, atleast I know my method was sound!

I wasn't positive I could just use the average, although it makes perfect sense. Silly me.

Once again, thank you very much!

5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

CEL

I also found a negative energy, which is OK. A positive energy is dissipated at the load. The power source delivers a negative energy.
    This goes with the definition of active and passive elements. In a passive element the energy is always nonnegative, while in an active element it can be negative. The power source is an active element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?