1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage Help

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    We wish to place a small charged sphere at a distance of 5.0 m from a point in space such that the voltage at that point is 1.20 V. How much charge should be on the sphere (in nC)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What have you tried? What equations do you think you might need?
  4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    I've tried V = kQ/r and V = kQ/r^2. If either of those are right, please respond, and if one of them is, then I feel I'm having conversion errors.
  5. Apr 6, 2008 #4
    r is essentially the distance (my teacher has been using 'radius' all this time)
  6. Apr 6, 2008 #5
    That second equation you're using with the r^2, dont use that one. The one you want to use is the first one. k is a constant and r is the radial distance (the question specifies that as 5.0m). If the voltage at that point is 1.20V, and you know the value of k and r, then just solve for Q.
  7. Apr 6, 2008 #6
    The answer comes out in Coulombs, right? How would I convert that to nanoCoulombs? Just multiply by 10^-9?
  8. Apr 6, 2008 #7
    Yea, in coulombs.

u know 1 [nC] = 1E-9 [C]
    say you get x coloumb
    x [C] * 10^-9 [?]/1[?] ??
    you must learn to use those SI units
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?