Find the Charge Needed for a 1.20V Voltage at 5.0m

In summary, to place a small charged sphere 5.0 m away from a point in space with a voltage of 1.20 V, we can use the equation V = kQ/r and solve for Q. The answer will be in Coulombs, and to convert to nanoCoulombs, we can multiply by 10^-9. It is important to use proper SI units when working with electrical equations.
NegaChin
We wish to place a small charged sphere at a distance of 5.0 m from a point in space such that the voltage at that point is 1.20 V. How much charge should be on the sphere (in nC)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? What equations do you think you might need?

I've tried V = kQ/r and V = kQ/r^2. If either of those are right, please respond, and if one of them is, then I feel I'm having conversion errors.

r is essentially the distance (my teacher has been using 'radius' all this time)

That second equation you're using with the r^2, don't use that one. The one you want to use is the first one. k is a constant and r is the radial distance (the question specifies that as 5.0m). If the voltage at that point is 1.20V, and you know the value of k and r, then just solve for Q.

The answer comes out in Coulombs, right? How would I convert that to nanoCoulombs? Just multiply by 10^-9?

Yea, in coulombs.

u know 1 [nC] = 1E-9 [C]
say you get x coloumb
x [C] * 10^-9 [?]/1[?] ??
you must learn to use those SI units

1. What is the formula for calculating charge needed for a 1.20V voltage at 5.0m?

The formula for calculating charge is Q=V*d, where Q is the charge, V is the voltage, and d is the distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for charge?

The unit of measurement for charge is Coulomb (C).

3. How do you convert 1.20V to its equivalent in Volts?

1.20V is already in Volts, so there is no need for conversion.

4. Can you explain the relationship between voltage and charge?

Voltage is the measure of potential difference between two points, while charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. There is a direct relationship between voltage and charge, where an increase in voltage leads to an increase in charge.

5. How does distance affect the charge needed for a specific voltage?

The charge needed for a specific voltage is directly proportional to the distance. This means that as the distance increases, the charge needed to maintain a specific voltage also increases. This relationship is described by the formula Q=V*d.