Troubleshooting HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a HP 34401a meter and a high impedance sensor input. The sensor reading jumps significantly when only the black ground wire is connected, but not when only the red wire is connected. The speaker has tried using an AMPROBE 30XR-A but it is not sensitive enough. They are seeking an explanation for this issue and can provide schematics if needed. The meter has been set to input resistances of 10M and >10G ohms but the issue persists. The speaker suspects that the meter's reference ground may be affecting the analyzer circuit, but is unsure if this is possible with only one lead. More information is needed, such as the make and model of the sensor
ttsky
Hi every one,

I have a HP 34401a meter that is causing some issues with a high impedance sensor input.

when I place only the ground wire ( black ) to the input circuit ground, the sensor reading jumps quiet dramatically, this does not happen if i place only the Red wire.

I have tried an AMPROBE 30XR-A with no issues, but it is not sensitive enough for this.

can anyone think of why this could happen. I can provide schematics of the input circuitry if needed, the sensor input is connected to an instrumentation amp.

many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you measuring Voltage?

Do you have two leads to make the measurement?
What happens if you connect both leads to the transducer?

Have you selected the input resistance in the Measurement Menu?

Baluncore said:
Are you measuring Voltage?

Do you have two leads to make the measurement?
What happens if you connect both leads to the transducer?

Have you selected the input resistance in the Measurement Menu?

Yes two leads, when both are connected i see a rise in sensor reading from the analyzer, and when i take both leads off the reading drops. i can recreate this with only the ground lead. i have selected between 10M and >10G ohms input resistance on the meter, both with same results. it feels as if the meter is at a slightly higher reference ground, and it is effecting the analyzer circuit. but i am not sure if that is possible with only one lead.

We really need more information here.
What does the sensor measure. We need to know the make / model of the sensor.
What instrument, make / model, is receiving the signal from the sensor.

As a scientist, my first step would be to thoroughly examine the schematics of the input circuitry and the HP 34401a meter to understand how the instrument is designed to function. I would also review any available documentation or manuals for the meter to see if there are any known issues or troubleshooting steps for high impedance sensor inputs.

I would then conduct a series of controlled experiments to isolate and identify the source of the issue. This could include testing the meter with different inputs, using a known good sensor, and comparing the results to the AMPROBE 30XR-A. I would also test the meter in different environments and conditions to see if there are any external factors affecting its performance.

Based on the results of these experiments, I would be able to determine if the issue lies with the meter itself or with the input circuitry. If it is determined that the meter is causing the issue, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer for further assistance or possibly sending the meter in for repairs.

In addition, I would also suggest checking for any firmware updates or software patches that may address this issue. It may also be helpful to consult with other colleagues or experts in the field to see if they have encountered similar issues with the HP 34401a meter.

Overall, it is important to approach troubleshooting in a systematic and scientific manner to accurately identify and resolve the issue.

1. What are the common issues when using the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load?

The most common issues when using the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load include incorrect readings, malfunctioning display, and power supply problems.

2. How can I calibrate the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load?

To calibrate the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load, you will need to use a calibration source and follow the instructions provided in the device's manual. It is recommended to perform calibration regularly to ensure accurate readings.

3. Why is my HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load displaying an error message?

There could be several reasons for an error message on the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load, such as incorrect connections, faulty components, or a software issue. Check the device's manual for troubleshooting steps or contact a technical support representative for assistance.

4. Can I use the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load for measuring other types of signals?

The HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load is primarily designed for measuring voltage signals. However, it can also measure current, resistance, and frequency signals with the appropriate adapters. Refer to the device's manual for more information on compatible adapters.

5. How do I reset the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load to its factory settings?

To reset the HP 34401a Voltage Meter Load to its factory settings, you will need to access the device's menu and select the reset option. Note that this will erase all stored data and settings, so it should only be done if necessary.