Voltage of bulb in the circuit

In summary, the question asks for the voltage of bulb D in a circuit where the total voltage supplied by the cells is 4 volts and each bulb has a resistance of 3 ohms. By assuming the other bulbs in the circuit as a group, the effective resistance is calculated to be 5 ohms. Using the equation V=IR and the given values, the voltage of bulb D is determined to be 12/5 watts. However, there may be an error in the problem as the units given do not match the standard units for voltage and power.
Max T

Homework Statement

What is the voltage of the bulb D? Given the total voltage supplied by the cells is 4 watts and each bulb is identical and has a resistance of 3 ohms

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

By assuming bulb A,B, and C as a group , their effective resistance would be 2 ohms.
Thus, the effective resistance of the circuit is Effective resistance of bulb A,B,C + resistance of Bulb D = 5 ohms
Hence, the current across the circuit is total voltage supplied / effective resistance of the whole circuit = 4/5 A. Therefore, the voltage of bulb D is 4/5A x 3 ohms = 12/5 W

*forgive me for my random attempt , since my teacher never taught me anything about this part

Attachments

• iGfgkPZ.jpg
    iGfgkPZ.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Max T said:

Homework Statement

What is the voltage of the bulb D? Given the total voltage supplied by the cells is 4 watts and each bulb is identical and has a resistance of 3 ohms

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

By assuming bulb A,B, and C as a group , their effective resistance would be 2 ohms.
Thus, the effective resistance of the circuit is Effective resistance of bulb A,B,C + resistance of Bulb D = 5 ohms
Hence, the current across the circuit is total voltage supplied / effective resistance of the whole circuit = 4/5 A. Therefore, the voltage of bulb D is 4/5A x 3 ohms = 12/5 W

*forgive me for my random attempt , since my teacher never taught me anything about this part
The units given in the statement of your problem don't make sense.

What is the problem, word for word, as it was given to you?

Max T said:
There is an error here. I think you mean the voltage supplied by the cells is 4 volts

voltage is a measure of the EMF (electromotive force)
w is for watts and it is a measure of energy over time (power) 1 watt = 1 joule for 1 second

1. What is the purpose of the voltage of a bulb in a circuit?

The voltage of a bulb in a circuit is the measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in the circuit. It determines the flow of electric current through the bulb, which in turn produces light and heat.

2. How is the voltage of a bulb in a circuit measured?

The voltage of a bulb in a circuit is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the bulb. The voltmeter displays the voltage in units of volts (V).

3. Does the voltage of a bulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the voltage of a bulb does affect its brightness. The higher the voltage, the brighter the bulb will be. However, it is important to note that using a voltage higher than the recommended amount can cause the bulb to burn out.

4. Can the voltage of a bulb in a circuit be changed?

Yes, the voltage of a bulb in a circuit can be changed by adjusting the power source or by adding additional components such as resistors. This can affect the brightness and lifespan of the bulb.

5. What happens if the voltage of a bulb in a circuit is too high?

If the voltage of a bulb in a circuit is too high, it can cause the bulb to burn out quickly or even explode. It is important to use the recommended voltage for the specific bulb to ensure safety and prolong its lifespan.