1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage of DC Generator

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A dc generator is rated at 10 kW, 208 V, and 50 A when it rotates at 1000 rpm. The resistance of the armature windings is 0.56 . Assume that the magnitude of the magnetic field remains constant.
    (a) Calculate the "no-load" voltage at 1000 rpm (when there is no circuit hooked up to the generator).

(b) Calculate the full-load voltage (i.e. at 50 A) when the generator is run at 800 rpm

2. Relevant equations
    V-Vw - Vl = 0
    Vw = IRw
    Faraday's Law (where EMF = the magnetic flux with respect to time ->the derivative)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got part a because i know that the no load voltage supplied by the genrator is the voltage of the idealized generator. Thus 208V + (.56 x 50A) = 236 Volts = CORRECT

Part B I can't seem to find! I know we're looking for the voltage load, and that the voltage is poportional to faradays law, where (BxA) x w = radians / sec..

BAsically if V = 236 V at 1000rpm, vL = ? at 800 rpm? I even tried figuring that the rpm frequency is 20% less, so maybe the voltage would be 20% less? (188.8) = wrong

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?