1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage problem

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1

I've been struggling with this problem for hours. I don't know what I did was wrong. Someone please give me a hint or point out where I did was wrong. Thanks a lot.

There are three charges : the first charge of +2Q locates at (0,0), the second charge of -Q locates at (0,d), the third charge of -Q locate (0,-d). Find the voltage at position x (X,0) when X>>>d. Use binomial theorem to expand the answer. Suppose that at x=2m, V= 160, find the approximate value of V at x=4. Assume that d <<<2m

I don't know how to insert a drawing in here. But according to the problem, the three charge would all on the y axis and the point where we have to find the voltage is gonna be on the x axis. I found:

V = (2Q/4*pi*epsilon) * (1/x - 1/sqrt{d^2+x^2})

Even after I use binomial expansion, I still couldn't cancel out d. I assume that somehow I have to cancel out d cause later on I have to estimate V without any exact value for d.

Can I anyone help me please. Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

Can anyone just give me a hint please
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?