What will a voltmeter read if it is connected between c and infinity?

In summary, when a voltmeter is connected between two points, it shows the potential difference between these two points. The potential at infinity is taken to be zero. You have to find the potential at the surface of the sphere, which is non-zero.
TFM
[SOLVED] Voltage Query

Homework Statement

An insulating spherical shell with inner radius 25.0 cm and outer radius 60.0 cm carries a charge of + 150.0 [tex]\mu C[/tex] uniformly distributed over its outer surface. Point a is at the center of the shell, point b is on the inner surface and point c is on the outer surface

What will a voltmeter read if it is connected between c and infinity?

Homework Equations

[tex] V = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0}\frac{q}{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In my textbook,it says that any voltage between a point and infinity will equal 0, but entering 0 says it is wrong.

Using the above equation, how do you put the radius shou.d equal infinty

Any Ideas?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
TFM said:

Homework Equations

[tex] V = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0}\frac{q}{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In my textbook,it says that any voltage between a point and infinity will equal 0, but entering 0 says it is wrong.

How have you used the "relevant eqn" here? That is the formula for V at a distance r from a point charge q.

When a voltmeter is connected between two points, it shows the potential difference between these two points. The potential at infinity is taken to be zero. You have to find the potential at the surface of the sphere, which is non-zero.

Do you know what is the potential due to the charge inside and outside the sphere? Remember, the charge distribution is spherically symmetric. It must be there in your book or notes.

Does this look right, then:

[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilion_0}\frac{150*10^{-6}}{c} [/tex]

?

TFM

TFM said:
Does this look right, then:

[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilion_0}\frac{150*10^{-6}}{c} [/tex]

(What is 'c' doing in the formula? It's just a point on the surface.)

I don't want you to blindly fiddle around with the formulae and put in values. Neither do I want to give you the answer directly.

Let's see if you know this. What is the potential at the surface of and inside a spherical conductor with charge q? I know that in the problem it's an insulator, not a conductor, but answer if you can.

I have a diagram for the potential, V of a positively charged spherical conductor, and it has a graph which looks slightly like a trapezium, but the diagonal edges are curved. it gives the voltage inside the sphere to be:

[tex] V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac{q}{R} [/tex]

but it shows alos that it is a constant potential through the sphere

TFM

You must know that in a spherical conductor the charge distributes itself uniformly only over the surface of the sphere. The potential inside and on the surface of a conductor is the same everywhere. This shows that whenever you have a uniform charge distribution over the surface of a sphere of radius R, the potential inside and on the surface is the same, and is given by:

[tex]
V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac{q}{R}.
[/tex]

So, your answer is V-0 = V.

Outside the sphere, the field and potential is as if the whole charge is concentrated at the centre. This is only true if the charge distribution is spherically symmetric. Even if the whole charge was uniformly distributed over the whole volume of the sphere, outside the sphere the field and potential would be the same. Inside, of course, the potential would not be uniform.

The graph you have of the potential of the conductor shows that V remains constant from 0 to R, and then falls as 1/r, where r is the distance of a point outside the sphere from the centre, which is the curved portion you were talking about.

I tried entering:

[tex]8.99*10^{-9}\frac{0.00015}{0.6}[/tex]

Since as it goes out to infininty, where the voltage should be 0, so, as stated, the final potential should be v - 0, but Mastering Physics says this is incorrect.

I have I missed something?

TFM

Last edited:
TFM said:
I tried entering:

8.99*10^+9.

Thanks for spootting the mistake, silly me :redface:

The final answer is 2.25 x 10^6 Volts

Thanks for your assitance, Shooting Star, :smile:

TFM

1. What is the purpose of connecting a voltmeter between c and infinity?

Connecting a voltmeter between c and infinity is a common method used to measure the voltage of a circuit. It allows for the measurement of the voltage at a specific point in a circuit, without the interference of any other components in the circuit.

2. What does a voltmeter read when connected between c and infinity?

When connected between c and infinity, a voltmeter will read the voltage at that specific point in the circuit. This is known as the potential difference and is measured in volts.

3. Will a voltmeter read a specific voltage when connected between c and infinity?

No, the voltmeter will not read a specific voltage when connected between c and infinity. The voltage reading will vary depending on the specific point in the circuit where the voltmeter is connected. This is because the voltage at different points in a circuit can vary.

4. What is the difference between connecting a voltmeter between c and infinity versus connecting it in parallel?

When a voltmeter is connected between c and infinity, it is connected in series with the circuit. This means that the voltmeter is placed in the same path as the current and will measure the voltage at a specific point. Connecting a voltmeter in parallel means it is connected across the circuit, and will measure the voltage across the entire circuit.

5. Is it necessary to connect a voltmeter between c and infinity to measure voltage?

No, it is not necessary to connect a voltmeter between c and infinity to measure voltage. There are other methods, such as connecting the voltmeter in parallel, or using a multimeter, that can also measure voltage in a circuit. However, connecting between c and infinity is a common and useful method for measuring voltage at a specific point in a circuit.