Solve Voltage Question: 3.3k & 4.7k Resistors

• Thread starter Agent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a 3.3k and 4.7k resistor in series and calculating the percentage of the total applied voltage that appears across the 4.7k resistor. The correct approach is to use fractions and then multiply by 100 to get the percent. The person had initially made a mistake by multiplying instead of adding.
Agent
Hey, I'm stuck in one of the problems I was given. We just started it, so I'm a bit confused. It says: 3.3k resistor is in series with 4.7k resistor. Calculate the percent of the total applied voltage that would appear across the 4.7k resistor. I got this answer but I'm not sure if it is right. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 3.3k resistor gets this fraction of the total voltage drop:

[itex]
\frac{{3.3k}}
{{3.3k + 4.7k}}
[/itex]

while the 4.7k gets this fraction:

[itex]
\frac{{4.7k}}
{{3.3k + 4.7k}}
[/itex]

Don't forget to multiply by 100 to get percent.

- Warren

I know where I made the mistake. I'd multiplied instead of adding. I don't know why. Thank You.

1. How do I calculate the voltage in a circuit with 3.3k and 4.7k resistors?

In order to calculate the voltage in this circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) times resistance (R). In this case, you will need to calculate the total resistance of the circuit by adding the resistances of the two resistors together (3.3k + 4.7k = 8k). Then, you will need to use the total resistance and the voltage of the power source to calculate the current. Finally, you can use the current and the individual resistances to calculate the voltage across each resistor.

2. What is the purpose of using different resistors in a circuit?

Resistors are used in circuits to control the flow of electricity. They can be used to limit the current, divide the voltage, or change the polarity of a circuit. Different resistors have different resistance values, which allows them to be used for different purposes in a circuit.

3. How do I choose the right resistors for my circuit?

The resistance of a resistor is measured in ohms (Ω), and it is important to choose the right resistance for your circuit to ensure that the circuit functions properly. To choose the right resistor, you will need to know the voltage of your power source, the desired current, and the resistance needed for your specific application. You can then use Ohm's Law to calculate the resistance needed for your circuit.

4. Can I use different types of resistors in the same circuit?

Yes, you can use different types of resistors in the same circuit. However, it is important to note that different types of resistors have different properties, such as tolerance and power rating, which could affect the overall performance of the circuit. It is important to choose resistors with similar properties to ensure that the circuit functions properly.

5. What happens if I use resistors with a higher resistance than needed in a circuit?

If you use resistors with a higher resistance than needed in a circuit, it will result in a lower current and voltage in the circuit. This could potentially cause the circuit to not function as intended, or it could cause damage to the components in the circuit. It is important to always use resistors with the correct resistance for your specific circuit.