1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage - Quick Question

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is wrong with this statement: A charged rod has a voltage of 0.50 A through it. Explain your answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A charged rod cannot have a voltage through it and voltage is not measured in A. Right? I know that to have a voltage, there must be a potential difference determined by two different charges. But what if the rod was a magnet? Would there be a voltage through a magnet?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2
    You're right, voltage is not measured in Amps. Current is. Is this supposed to be a trick question, or is it just to see if you are paying attention?

4. May 22, 2007 #3
    I don't know (?). Is it a trick question? :biggrin:

5. May 23, 2007 #4
    I think the only problem with the statement is the Amps bit. You're right that for there to be a potential difference you need a difference in charge, but if all the charge in the rod were at one end it could have a potential difference across it.

Magnetic "voltage" is different to electric voltage. You're right that a bar magnet would, in a sense, have a magnetic potential across it as it has two poles.

6. May 23, 2007 #5
    Thank you. That clarifies my understand of voltage, finally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?