Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-/+ voltage regulator

  1. May 7, 2007 #1
    hi guys

    need some component that will take in 12 VDC and put out a negative 5V AND a positive 5V - just a very simple component - a part number would be great - thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    For 12V to 5V, use a Buck DC-DC converter, or just a linear regulator.

    For 12V to -5V, use an Inverting DC-DC converter. Are you familiar with these DC-DC topologies? If not, check out National Semiconductor's website (www.ni.com I think), and look at the app notes about their Simple Switcher series of converter chips.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook