1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage regulator

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    hey guys, ive got to make a voltage regulator for a uni project. it has to use hysterisis and produce 9v out from a 16Vrms AC powerpack over a 15 ohm load. It also needs overload protection, ive drawn up the attached circuit, i think it will work and filled in some of the values i know but im stuck for the others, any help would be great.

circuit.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not qualified to analyze a circuit like that, but what about using a simple 9Vdc regulator after cap C6?

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that's cheating!

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Couple comments:

-- Usually I would put the current sensing resistor in the + feed, right before Q1. Having it in the negative return complicates the grounding of this non-isolated buck converter.

-- I'm not sure about the snubber on the flywheel diode. I've never used one, and generally haven't seen them used in bucks. It will lower your efficiency at least. Why do you have it there?

-- It seems like you should consider putting a bit of hysteresis in your comparator circuit. I'm not generally comfortable with comparator circuits without at least some postitive feedback hysteresis.

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5

berkeman

I get the feeling that the assignment is to design a switching regulator, rather than a linear regulator.

7. Aug 20, 2008 #6

berkeman

-- Also, is there a reason that you are using a Darlington for Q1? That will impact your efficiency pretty significantly.

Quiz Question: Why?

8. Aug 20, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whoops, my bad!

9. Aug 20, 2008 #8

berkeman

Another Quiz Question for the original poster (OP) -- Why do I say this about comparator hysteresis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?