Exploring Voltage and Resistors: A Beginner's Guide to Understanding the Basics

In summary, the voltage across the two resistors in series (R1 and R2) is the same as the voltage across the two resistors in parallel (R3 and R4). However, the current through the two resistors in series is less than the current through the two resistors in parallel.
xpack
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6898/83724998.png

How do I begin to work this kind of problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not well familiar with the rules, but I think you should write down your attempts so that someone can help you in solving this problem.

Hint: Use Ohm's law.

Mr.Green said:
I am not well familiar with the rules, but I think you should write down your attempts so that someone can help you in solving this problem.

Hint: Use Ohm's law.
What are the currents through the series R1-R2 and through R3-R4?

series r1-r2=39 k ohms
series r3-r4=31 k ohms
?

OK. Great. Now, you have the series resistance values and you know the voltage across them. You should know the current. Afterward the knowledge of the voltage across each single resistor will help in finding Vx.
Try it. It is easy.

But because series r1-r2 and series r3-r4 are parallel does the voltage split between them? or is that the current?

The current is splitted between the parallel resistances and they have the same voltage. In other hand R1 and R2 are in series and the same current will flow through them. The same is true for R3 and R4.

The current through R1 and R2 id given by (let's call it I1)

I1 = V / (R1 + R2)

The current through R3 and R4 can be obtained in the same way.

As soon as you get the two currents you can find the voltage drop across R2 and R4. Now all values are known. Finally,

Vx = V2 - V4 ( why not V4-V2; because the + sign is drawn on V2 and the - sign on V4 )

I know this may be asking a lot but can you show the math, then I can clearly see what your plugging in where. This is not my homework by any means this is the practice for the actual assignment and I'm still confused a bit.

OK. But afterward you should do it yourself so that you deeply understand it.
Remember that you can't make muscles looking me lift weights :) .

I1 = V/(R1 + R2) = 0.076 mAmp
I2 = V/(R3 + R4) = 0.096 mAmp

V2 = I1 * R2 = 1.368 V
V4 = I2 * R4 = 2.016 V

Vx = V2 - V4 = - 0.645 (It is negative. What does this mean? )

Last edited:
Oh okay I understand know I know that V=IR but i wasnt entirely sure what R to use. But this helps me understand. Thank you again you have been great help.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is often described as the force that drives electric current through a circuit.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a device called a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

3. What are resistors?

Resistors are electronic components that are used to control the flow of electric current in a circuit. They are designed to have a specific amount of resistance, which is measured in ohms (Ω).

4. How do resistors affect voltage?

Resistors can either increase or decrease the voltage in a circuit, depending on their value and placement. They are often used to reduce the voltage to a desired level or to limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

5. How can I calculate the voltage in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). The formula is V = IR. Alternatively, voltage can also be calculated using a voltmeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit.