1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage scaling

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    i am taking a +/-5 voltage signal is supposed coming from a torque sensor. this is supposed to be equal to 100 N*m. However, -5.04 volts is actually equal to 100 N*m and 4.85 volts is actually equal to 100 N*m. I need to scale this signal to a maximum input of 200 mV for display on a panel meter. I was just going to use a voltage divider going into a noninverting op-amp, but I am not sure what to do now that I know the negative and positive voltage signals don't match, I was told a differential amplifier would work for this, however, I am not quite sure of how to accomplish this, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2
    A differential amp could work but is not required. Depending how much current you have available from the sensor and where you are connecting it, a simple two resistor voltage divider would suffice.

If you want to use an op-amp, then a non-inverting amp configuration could follow the voltage divider network. But you would need a positive and a negative power supply connection for the IC.

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many panel display units have built in scalling features. I am familiar with the Omron K3GN It allows for a 2 point linear scaling. This may be a more documentable solution.

5. Mar 1, 2007 #4
    Most of the sensors provide an output that is offseted by Vcc/2. Is your sensor based on the same method?

Measuring real life data is not an easy task to accomplish. I've been dealing with this kind of circuits for a couple of years now, so here is my advice for best results:

1. Good power supply with stable output voltage! (output voltage variations are allways caused by unstable powersupply) Hense, use some stabilizing circuits.

2. DECOUPLING DECOUPLING DECOUPLING ! ! ! Place decoupling capacitors as close to the sensor IC as possible, avoid ground layer around the IC etc. Short distances between the circuits = GOOD! Long distances = BAD (remember transmission line theory) parasitics etc. etc.

3. When dealing with unmatched output (i.e 5,04 & 4,85V) you can either offset (by applying the dc to the output) the input (so the output will swing between [tex]\frac{5,04+4,85}{2}[/tex]) or you can use microcontroller or some other means to do so. Just be shure that those unmatched swings are not caused by the way you've configured the IC.

4. Use 1% resistors, if your circuit is modelled correctly and psu variations has nothing to do with unmatched output, then problem can be that you're using >=5% resistors. When modelling sensor-circuits allways use 1% tolerance resistors, such as 1206 or lower series.

Now, for for scaling the output voltage down, I would suggest a divider network followed by a low-distortion buffer amplifier so the circuits after buffer would not load the divider, hence not affecting your read-outs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?