Voltage single loop circuit

In summary: That would give you ##Vab = Va-Vb = 16.08 V##, ##Vac = Va-Vc = 16.08 V##, and ##Vac = 16.08 V + (0.470588 A)(1.4 Ω) = 16.158 V##.
Adriano25
Untitled.png

Homework Statement

I = 0.47 A
ε1 = 16.0 V
ε2 = 8.0 V
R1 = 5.0 Ω
R2 = 9.0 Ω
r1 = 1.6 Ω
r2 = 1.4 Ω

a) Find the terminal voltage Vab of the 16.0 V Battery
b) Find the potential difference Vac of point a with respect to point c

Homework Equations

Vab = Va - Vb = ε1 - Ir1
Vac = Va - Vc = IR1 + ε2 + Ir2

The Attempt at a Solution

Current is flowing counterclockwise since the battery 16.0 V determines the direction starting from the positive plate.
I'm just a little confused on part b) in why are we adding ε2 + Ir2 instead of subtracting them.
Also, I know that if try to find Vac by doing (Va-Vb) + (Vb-Vc), we would get a negative value, correct? In this case, how would the - and + sign change?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Adriano25 said:
I'm just a little confused on part b) in why are we adding ε2 + Ir2 instead of subtracting them.
Also, I know that if try to find Vac by doing (Va-Vb) + (Vb-Vc), we would get a negative value, correct? In this case, how would the - and + sign change?

Start by adding the current (blue) and the polarities of the resultant potential drops (red) to the figure:
upload_2017-2-20_16-0-39.png

Then you can easily write the equation for the potential difference between locations by doing a "KVL walk" from one to the other. You'll be sure to get the signs of the terms correct this way.

For example, Taking the left side path from c to a you write: ##V_{ac} = +ε2 + I r_2 +I R1##

It should not matter which path you take between to locations in the circuit, you should always arrive at the same potential difference with the same sign.

Likes Adriano25
gneill said:
Start by adding the current (blue) and the polarities of the resultant potential drops (red) to the figure:
View attachment 113486
Then you can easily write the equation for the potential difference between locations by doing a "KVL walk" from one to the other. You'll be sure to get the signs of the terms correct this way.

For example, Taking the left side path from c to a you write: ##V_{ac} = +ε2 + I r_2 +I R1##

It should not matter which path you take between to locations in the circuit, you should always arrive at the same potential difference with the same sign.

Thank you. It's very clear now. I have two more questions if you would be kind to answer them:

1) If we take the left side path from c to a, why do we follow the current path like if we were starting from a to c? Looking at the diagram, if we start form c to a, I would be putting negative signs, thus going clockwise.

2)
If taking Vac counterclockwise:
Vac = Va-Vc
Vac = ε2 + Ir2 + IR1
Vac = 8.0 V + (0.47 A)(1.4 Ω) + (0.47 A)(5.0 Ω) = 11.008 V

If taking Vac clockwise:
Vac = (Va-Vb) + (Vb-Vc)
Vac = ε1 - Ir1 - IR2
Vac = 16.0V - (0.47 A)(1.6 Ω) - (0.47A)(9.0 Ω) = 11.018 V

Thus, I'm getting slightly different results. Am I doing something wrong?

Again, thank you for your help.

Adriano25 said:
Thank you. It's very clear now. I have two more questions if you would be kind to answer them:

1) If we take the left side path from c to a, why do we follow the current path like if we were starting from a to c? Looking at the diagram, if we start form c to a, I would be putting negative signs, thus going clockwise.
You can choose to sum potential drops or potential rises along your "KVL walk" so long as you are consistent and understand what it is you are summing. You can "walk" in any direction you choose. Once you've drawn in the current, that fixes the polarities of the potential drops on the components that are due to that assumed current direction. When you do your KVL walk, you sum the potential changes dictated by those polarities (choosing drops as either positive or negative, your choice so long as you are consistent).
2)
If taking Vac counterclockwise:
Vac = Va-Vc
Vac = ε2 + Ir2 + IR1
Vac = 8.0 V + (0.47 A)(1.4 Ω) + (0.47 A)(5.0 Ω) = 11.008 V

If taking Vac clockwise:
Vac = (Va-Vb) + (Vb-Vc)
Vac = ε1 - Ir1 - IR2
Vac = 16.0V - (0.47 A)(1.6 Ω) - (0.47A)(9.0 Ω) = 11.018 V

Thus, I'm getting slightly different results. Am I doing something wrong?
No, everything's fine. But you're trying to squeeze too much accuracy out of values that you've truncated or rounded along the way to the finish line. For example, the current isn't really 0.47 A. That's a rounded value. If you want your results to have a closer match, keep more decimal places in intermediate results. So, for example, you might take ##I = 0.470588##, and only round your results at the end.

Likes Adriano25

1. What is a voltage single loop circuit?

A voltage single loop circuit is a type of electrical circuit where there is only one path for the current to flow. It typically consists of a voltage source, such as a battery, connected to a load, such as a light bulb, through a series of conductors and components.

2. How does a voltage single loop circuit work?

In a voltage single loop circuit, the voltage source provides a potential difference, or voltage, which causes the flow of electrons through the circuit. This flow of electrons, known as current, powers the load, such as a light bulb, and then returns to the voltage source to complete the loop.

3. What is the difference between voltage and current in a single loop circuit?

Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current refers to the flow of electrons through the circuit. In a single loop circuit, the voltage source provides the potential difference, which causes the flow of current through the circuit.

4. How do you calculate the voltage in a single loop circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a single loop circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R): V = I x R. Alternatively, you can use a voltmeter to measure the potential difference between two points in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of voltage single loop circuits?

Voltage single loop circuits are commonly used in everyday electronics, such as household appliances, as well as in more complex electrical systems, such as power grids. They also play a crucial role in various industries, including telecommunications, transportation, and manufacturing.