Voltage Translation: Can a Capacitor Do It?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for transferring thin pulses to a transistor that has a -70V emitter and a correctly polarized base. One option is to use a capacitor to support the voltage difference, but this could result in negative output swing and bias issues. Another suggestion is to use a clamping diode or an optocoupler. Adjustments may be necessary for these solutions to work effectively.
Ravaner
Hello. I wish to transfer very thin pulses ( 0, 5V, 100 ns) to the base of a transistor which emitter is at -70 V (and base correctly DC polarized). I don't want to use traditionnal translater circuit using npn+pnp transistors, but just a capacitor (supporting the voltage difference). Is there any reason against this kind of idea ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could also use a 70v Zener diode as a level shifter.

Normally, if you just fed this through a capacitor, the output would swing negative relative to the base as well as positive.
This is probably not what you want as the transistor would be biased for low standing current.

So, you need a clamping diode. I would try something like this:

clamp diode.PNG

The unmarked resistors are the normal bias resistors. This would need adjusting.
R may be necessary to maintain the input waveform shape.
The diode would be a Schottky type for speed and low capacitance.

I haven't tried it, of course, so it may not work or may need adjusting.

Another way would be to use an optocoupler.

Many, many thanks for your help. This goes in the way to confirm of what I previously suppose.

1. What is voltage translation and how does it relate to capacitors?

Voltage translation is the process of converting a signal from one voltage level to another. Capacitors can be used in voltage translation circuits to step up or step down the voltage level.

2. Can a capacitor perform voltage translation on its own?

No, a capacitor cannot perform voltage translation on its own. It needs to be part of a circuit that includes other components such as resistors or transistors to achieve voltage translation.

3. What are the benefits of using a capacitor for voltage translation?

Capacitors are often used for voltage translation because they are inexpensive and easily available. They also have the ability to store and release energy quickly, making them useful for filtering and smoothing out voltage levels.

4. Are there any limitations to using capacitors for voltage translation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using capacitors for voltage translation. Capacitors have a limited voltage range and can only handle a certain amount of current. They also have a tendency to lose charge over time, which can affect the accuracy of the voltage translation.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor for voltage translation?

When choosing a capacitor for voltage translation, it is important to consider factors such as voltage rating, capacitance, and frequency. It is also important to consider the type of circuit and the desired voltage level. Consulting with a professional or using online resources can help determine the appropriate capacitor for your specific voltage translation needs.