Voltage vs Current Graph Help

In summary, the conversation discusses V-I curves for a carbon resistor and a light-emitting diode (LED). The carbon resistor follows Ohm's law and has a constant resistance of 10 ohm. The LED shows non-ohmic behavior and its resistance can be found using the equation R=V/I or by drawing tangents on the graph to determine the slope. The problem in part B specifically asks for the dynamic resistance of the LED, which can be found by drawing tangents at various points on the curve.
P1nkButt3rflys
A) The graph shows V-I curves for two conductors. One is measured for a carbon resistor and obeys Ohm's law; the other is for a light-emitting diode (LED) and shows non-ohmic behaviour. What is the resistance of the carbon resistor?

B) For what value of current is the resistance of the LED the same as that of the carbon resistor? (Use a ruler and a triangle to draw on the diagram.)

I got the first portion. The carbon resistor is the linear line and the LED is the curved line. Using the graph I found R = 10 ohm for A. But cannot figure out how to solve B, any suggestions?

LED8.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
For the LED, you can find the resistance at a particular value of current and voltage with the equation ## R = \frac{V}{I} ## (note that this isn't the same as Ohm's Law -- it can only be used to find the the instantaneous resistance, and does not describe the resistance of the conductor at all values of the voltage).

Graphically, ## \frac{V}{I} ## is the slope of the graph, which you can find with tangent lines.

The slope of the curve defines its resistance at that region of operation. So draw tangents everywhere, to see how the slope changes.

For the carbon resistor, the tangents everywhere are the same, its resistance does not vary.

The prblem in (b) should have asked specifically for dynamic resistance. The LED "resistance" could equally well mean static resistance in which case the LED always has a larger resistance than the resistor. For example, an ohmmeter would measure static resistance = V/i at whatever the meter current i happens to be.

A) Good job on identifying the carbon resistor and understanding Ohm's law. To calculate the resistance of the carbon resistor, you can use the formula R = V/I, where V is the voltage and I is the current. From the graph, we can see that the voltage for the carbon resistor is 10 volts and the current is 1 ampere. Therefore, the resistance of the carbon resistor is 10 ohms.

B) To find the current at which the resistance of the LED is the same as that of the carbon resistor, you can look at the point where the two lines intersect on the graph. Using a ruler, draw a vertical line from this point to the x-axis. This point on the x-axis represents the current where the resistance of the LED is equal to the resistance of the carbon resistor. You can then use the triangle tool to measure the value of current at this point. This will give you the answer for part B.

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points, while current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and current is measured in amperes (A).

2. How do I interpret a voltage vs current graph?

In a voltage vs current graph, voltage is plotted on the y-axis and current is plotted on the x-axis. The slope of the graph represents the resistance of the circuit. A steeper slope indicates a higher resistance, while a flatter slope indicates a lower resistance. The intersection of the graph with the y-axis represents the voltage, and the intersection with the x-axis represents the current.

3. What is Ohm's law and how is it related to voltage and current?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

4. What can cause a change in the voltage vs current relationship?

The voltage vs current relationship can change due to changes in the resistance of the circuit. This can be caused by factors such as changes in temperature, length or material of the conductor, or the addition of components like resistors or capacitors in the circuit.

5. How does a voltage vs current graph help in understanding circuits?

A voltage vs current graph helps in understanding circuits by providing a visual representation of the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It can help in analyzing the behavior of different circuit components and predicting the effect of changing parameters. It is a useful tool for troubleshooting and designing circuits.