Exploding Capacitor: Calculating Voltage for a 100uF 10V Capacitor

In summary, the conversation is about the potential voltage needed to make a 100uF 10V capacitor explode if plugged in backwards. It is mentioned that theoretically any voltage will cause the capacitor to explode, and that it is easy to try but may annoy others. It is clarified that the capacitor in question is electrolytic and the voltage is confirmed to be 9V. The conversation ends with a warning to not waste time trying to blow up capacitors.
Momosaida
How many volts would i need to make a 100uF 10V capacitor explode if i plugged it in backwards?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Theoretically the moment you reverse bias the polarized cap, the cap will explode. You can try it out, wear goggles.

If it is electrolytic, which you didn't say, then practically any voltage will cause it to explode. As Corneo says it easy to try...and it's also a good way to make lecturers/teachers/lab technicians/fellow students rather cross with you - both for wasting caps and making them jump every few minutes :P

Yes the capacitor is electrolytic. But when I connected a 9V battery to it backwards, it didn't explode. Why?

Last edited:
Are you sure it was backwards?...I know it's obvious but some people, even degree level students, get that wrong. 9V should be plenty to do the job, unless it's a huuge capacitor it might be a bit harder. I can't say I have every studied the ins and outs of reversing caps! :)

I'm uncomfortable with this thread. Momosaida -- there are better things for you to be doing with your time instead of trying to blow up capacitors.

Thread locked.

1. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitors?

The voltage across a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge stored on the plates of the capacitor. This means that as the voltage increases, so does the charge and vice versa.

2. How does capacitance affect voltage?

The capacitance of a capacitor is a measure of its ability to store charge. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a higher voltage across the capacitor.

3. How does the voltage change when a capacitor is connected to a battery?

When a capacitor is connected to a battery, the voltage across the capacitor increases until it reaches the same voltage as the battery. This is because the battery supplies charge to the capacitor, causing the voltage to increase.

4. Can the voltage across a capacitor ever be higher than the input voltage?

No, the voltage across a capacitor cannot exceed the input voltage. The capacitor acts as a voltage divider, meaning the voltage across it will always be less than the input voltage.

5. How does the voltage change over time in a capacitor circuit?

When a capacitor is connected to a resistor in a circuit, the voltage across the capacitor will gradually increase as the capacitor charges. Once it reaches the same voltage as the battery, it will remain constant. If the circuit is broken, the capacitor will discharge and the voltage will decrease over time.