Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage with capacitors

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    How many volts would i need to make a 100uF 10V capacitor explode if i plugged it in backwards?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    Theoretically the moment you reverse bias the polarized cap, the cap will explode. You can try it out, wear goggles.

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    If it is electrolytic, which you didn't say, then practically any voltage will cause it to explode. As Corneo says it easy to try....and it's also a good way to make lecturers/teachers/lab technicians/fellow students rather cross with you - both for wasting caps and making them jump every few minutes :P

5. Mar 20, 2008 #4
    Yes the capacitor is electrolytic. But when I connected a 9V battery to it backwards, it didn't explode. Why?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    Are you sure it was backwards?...I know it's obvious but some people, even degree level students, get that wrong. 9V should be plenty to do the job, unless it's a huuge capacitor it might be a bit harder. I can't say I have every studied the ins and outs of reversing caps! :)

7. Mar 21, 2008 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm uncomfortable with this thread. Momosaida -- there are better things for you to be doing with your time instead of trying to blow up capacitors.

Thread locked.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook