Voltage with capacitors

• Thread starter Momosaida
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

How many volts would i need to make a 100uF 10V capacitor explode if i plugged it in backwards?

Answers and Replies

Theoretically the moment you reverse bias the polarized cap, the cap will explode. You can try it out, wear goggles.

If it is electrolytic, which you didn't say, then practically any voltage will cause it to explode. As Corneo says it easy to try....and it's also a good way to make lecturers/teachers/lab technicians/fellow students rather cross with you - both for wasting caps and making them jump every few minutes :P

Yes the capacitor is electrolytic. But when I connected a 9V battery to it backwards, it didn't explode. Why?

Last edited:
Are you sure it was backwards?...I know it's obvious but some people, even degree level students, get that wrong. 9V should be plenty to do the job, unless it's a huuge capacitor it might be a bit harder. I can't say I have every studied the ins and outs of reversing caps! :)

berkeman
Mentor
I'm uncomfortable with this thread. Momosaida -- there are better things for you to be doing with your time instead of trying to blow up capacitors.

Thread locked.