Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage with capacitors

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    How many volts would i need to make a 100uF 10V capacitor explode if i plugged it in backwards?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    Theoretically the moment you reverse bias the polarized cap, the cap will explode. You can try it out, wear goggles.
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    If it is electrolytic, which you didn't say, then practically any voltage will cause it to explode. As Corneo says it easy to try....and it's also a good way to make lecturers/teachers/lab technicians/fellow students rather cross with you - both for wasting caps and making them jump every few minutes :P
  5. Mar 20, 2008 #4
    Yes the capacitor is electrolytic. But when I connected a 9V battery to it backwards, it didn't explode. Why?
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    Are you sure it was backwards?...I know it's obvious but some people, even degree level students, get that wrong. 9V should be plenty to do the job, unless it's a huuge capacitor it might be a bit harder. I can't say I have every studied the ins and outs of reversing caps! :)
  7. Mar 21, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

I'm uncomfortable with this thread. Momosaida -- there are better things for you to be doing with your time instead of trying to blow up capacitors.

Thread locked.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?