1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltaic Cells

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    The problem I have is just a detail I want to clarify about the voltaic cell.

A standard cell is a voltaic cell in which each half-cell contains all entities shown in the half-reaction equation at SATP conditions, with a concentration of 1.0 mol/L for the aqueous solution.

Referring to the both the definition and the diagram, what I'm wondering is: why is it necessary to have the Fe 3+ (aq) in the anode solution? It's the product of the oxidation reaction occuring there, so why is it neededthere initially ? This includes not only the particular cell shown above, but all voltaic cells. In general, why is it necessary to have the product of the half-reaction in the anode half? What function does it serve in the cell?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Generally speaking - there is no need for products to be present initially. They will appear immediately given chance :wink:

However, at STP - by definition - activity of every reagent involved is 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?