1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltmeter help

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but I could use some assistance. I need to get a device that will test if current can pass from an electrode through a connected wire on down to a pin that connects to a computer port. (Sometimes the electrical connection fails because of a poor connection between the wire and the electrode.) I have seen this test done before using a voltmeter (it was actually set to beep when it detected a bad connection), but I'm not familiar with how voltmeters are typically constructed-- i.e. whether the feature used to detect bad connections was a standard voltmeter feature or not. (I have looked into it a bit and I believe the test I am speaking of is called a "continuity test," with the above mentioned beeping feature being a "continuity beeper," but I'm not 100% certain.)

I'm currently looking at a cheap voltmeter that I think may be able to do the trick for me, but I'd just like some input from more knowledgeable folk on whether this device will do what I need it to do. The technical details provided on the web site are as follows :

Product Features

* DC current: 200micro/2m/20m/200m/10A AC voltage: 200/750V DC voltage: 200m/2/20/200/1000V Resistance (ohms): 200/2K/20K/200K/2M
    * Transistor & diode test
    * 3 1/2 digit LCD with a maximum reading of 1999
    * Low battery indicator

Can a "continuity test" (if that is the right term) be done using transistor/diode tests? If not, is it safe to assume that the "continuity test" feature is so standard for voltmeters that I should take it as a given that this voltmeter will be able to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A "continuity test" is really nothing more than a resistance test with a beep. The beep sounds when the measured resistance is very close to zero. Since the beep is annoying in some situations (while incredibly useful in others), most multi-meters have a special setting to enable it.

It's a pretty safe bet that every digital mutli-meter sold today has a continuity function. If it includes sophisticated features for diodes and transistors, I'd be amazed if it didn't also have a continuity beep feature.

If it lacks a beeper, however, you can always just set it to low-range resistance mode, and look at the display. If it's close to zero, you can even say the word beep! :biggrin:

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?