1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltmeter help

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    This is another problem I am having troubles with. Here's the prompt:

What is the reading of a voltmeter with the proper range and with resistance 5*10^4 Ohms when connected between point b and ground?

I know that for voltmeters, V = I_fs (R_c + R_s), and I tried solving for V using the I through the system as I_fs, which I solved as (400V/300000) = .001333, and then using 5*10^4 and 200000 as the resistors, but it says my answer is off by an additive constant. I don't understand what I am dong wrong...all help is appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2
    If the voltmeter wasn't there, or was perfect, then the voltage at b would be 2/3 of that at a.

Now when the voltmeter is present, its resistance is in parallel with the 200k-ohm resistor, so you can calculate the equivalent resistance of the parallel combination, and get a new ratio for the voltages at a and b.
  4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    I don't understand how that helps...sorry. I just don't get what I am doing wrong still, or how the above would help me go further...
  5. Dec 6, 2004 #4
    o i ci I got it now, thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?