1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltmeter Problem

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very long insulating cylinder of charge of radius 2.70cm carries a uniform linear density of 16.0 nC/m

Question: If you put one probe of a voltmeter at the surface, how far from the surface must the other probe be placed so that the voltmeter reads 195 ?

Relevant equations: The relevant equation for this problem is V=(lamda/2*pi*epsilon nought)*ln(R/r)

The attempt at a solution: For this problem I am trying to find little r in the above equation. 'Lambda' is given in the problem statement as (16*10^-9). To find little r, I first got the ln() function by itself by dividing each side of the equation by 'lambda/...' To save time I have denoted that function by A. So V/A=ln(R/r). I then took the exponential of each side to get ride of the ln() and I am left with r=R/[e^(V/A)]. I do not understand why this is not correct could someone please help me out. Thank you very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Be careful about the reference point. If R and r are measured from the central axis of the cylinder, and one is being asked about the distance x from the surface, which is at R, then what is the relationship between r and x?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?