How Does a Voltmeter's Resistance Affect Voltage Measurement Accuracy?

In summary, a voltmeter with a resistance of 100 ohms and a full-scale voltage of 20V will be used to measure the voltage vA in the circuit below. The voltmeter reading can be found by comparing 3Vb to Vb and calculating the percentage error using various equations such as KVL, KCL, Ohm's law, Voltage Divider, and Current Divider. The voltmeter should also be included in the circuit diagram when making calculations.
rey242

Homework Statement

A voltmeter will be used to measure the voltage vA in the circuit below. Assume that the voltmeter has a resistance of 100[ohms] and a full-scale voltage of 20[V].

a) What will the voltmeter read?
b) What is the percentage error in making this reading?

Homework Equations

Several equations
(i.e KVL, KCL, Ohm's law, Voltage Divider, Current Divider, etc.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a general idea on how to do this but I'm not sure if about a few concepts...
I'm pretty sure that there is no current through the 7 volt source.
I think you can figure Vb can be figured out through KVL but I am not sure.
If I cant, then I have to use one part of the circuit to find vb.

Can you check to see if these concepts are correct?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,083
Physics news on Phys.org
You MUST show some work (calculations). We can't help if we don't know exactly where you are stuck and forum rules prohibit our just giving you an answer.

In my opinion you have to find a relationship between 3Vb and Vb.

Also, you have to know how to compare the voltmeter readings with the actual voltage which you have to find.

When you are making a voltage measurement, the voltmeter becomes part of the circuit. So, draw it in on the schematic to include its effect.

Since the OP hasn't been here in 10 years I doubt we are going to get an updated drawing. I made my post as part of a general cleanup we are doing on old posts and to alert new members who find this post via a Google search that we require some work.

Likes dlgoff and Babadag
:oops::oops:

1. What is a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure the amount of voltage in an electrical circuit. It typically has two leads that are connected to the circuit and a display that shows the voltage reading in either volts or millivolts.

2. How does a voltmeter work?

A voltmeter works by using a calibrated resistor to measure the voltage across the circuit. The voltage is then converted into a readable value on the display. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the circuit, meaning the leads are connected to the same points as the voltage being measured.

3. What is the range of a voltmeter?

The range of a voltmeter refers to the maximum voltage it can accurately measure. Most voltmeters have multiple ranges, such as 0-10V or 0-100V, to allow for more precise measurements. It is important to select the appropriate range for the voltage being measured to avoid damaging the voltmeter.

4. What is the accuracy of a voltmeter?

The accuracy of a voltmeter refers to how close the measured value is to the actual value of the voltage. It is usually expressed as a percentage of the full scale reading. For example, a voltmeter with an accuracy of ±1% on a 10V range would have an error of ±0.1V.

5. How do I reduce error when using a voltmeter?

To reduce error when using a voltmeter, it is important to select the appropriate range for the voltage being measured and to ensure the leads are connected correctly. It is also helpful to take multiple readings and calculate an average to minimize any potential errors. Regular calibration of the voltmeter is also recommended to maintain accuracy.