1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volts/Div Scale

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    Hey guys

If the output of the function generator for a sinusoidal waveform is 6 voltage divisons peak to peak along the voltage axis- and the voltmeter reads 2.12v, find the volts/div scale that is being used?

for this do just divide the volt given by the division given?, please help,(pretty new)

thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2
    Anyone, really need with this by today?

sorry and thanks again

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The voltmeter will measure RMS voltage for a.c.

5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    how do use the voltage to find the scale? sorry really new

6. Oct 7, 2007 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well the peak voltage is 3 volts. Correct? Now what is the effective voltage (root-mean-square, RMS)?

7. Oct 7, 2007 #6
    2.12, .707(3), which is the value from the voltmeter

8. Oct 7, 2007 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. I'm not sure what you're are really asking. A volt is a volt. On your scope you are seeing 6 volts p-p (1volt per division) on your rms meter you are seeing 2.12 volts (what scale on your meter are you using here?)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  9. Oct 7, 2007 #8
    How did u know that it is 1 volt per divison, thanks, i think that is what i wanted

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  10. Oct 7, 2007 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By scale, I mean what range your voltmeter was set. If for example, it was set on a 6 volts range and there were 6 division marks, then one division would be 1 volt. If there were 12 division marks, then one division would be 0.5 volt. Now your meter might be good enough to have a division mark for every 0.1 volt, the volt/div would be 0.1. i.e. for your meter, take the full range voltage and divide by the number of divisions on the scale. I guess that is what you were thinking in the first place. Sorry.

Regards

11. Oct 8, 2007 #10
    Do you mean volt meter or oscilloscope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?