Understanding Power Equations: How Do You Solve for V2 and R in Ohm's Law?

In summary, the new person is struggling with understanding basic electrical principles. They understand Ohm's Law and Ohm's Law equations, but are struggling with V2 and power. They suggest looking into diagrams or help from a previous algebra course to help with understanding.
ry12
Hello everyone new here :)
I've recently enrolled myself in a computer technician course and I've encountered a few (basic) electrical sums.
I have absolutely no electrical background, and the course mentioned no requirement of such, but I'm already being presented with work I have no idea of. These past few days I studied electricity basics but I'm still struggling a bit.

I understood the concept of Ohm's Law, I think...
V=IR or R=V/I or I=V/R are the equations.

However I'm now being presented with V2 (squared) and I have absolutely no idea what to think, I'm mentally challenged. Any place I can look more into these?

The question I'm facing is: Power is equal to voltage multiplied by current. Add the missing information in each of the following power equations.
And the equations are: P=V_____, P=R_____, P=V2______.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Attachments

• 1.1.1.4 Lab - Ohms Law.pdf
    488.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ry12 said:
I understood the concept of Ohm's Law, I think...
V=IR or R=V/I or I=V/R are the equations.
Yes, those are right. Basically, they are looking to test your ability to manipulate those variations with another formula: P = V I.

For example you can combine P = V I with V = I R to get P = (I R) I, or P = I2 R

There are some helpful diagrams that go through all the combinations if you do an image search for Ohm's Law.

Likes DaveE
ry12 said:
However I'm now being presented with V2 (squared) and I have absolutely no idea what to think, I'm mentally challenged. Any place I can look more into these?

The question I'm facing is: Power is equal to voltage multiplied by current. Add the missing information in each of the following power equations.
And the equations are: P=V_____, P=R_____, P=V2______.
lewando already answered your question.

If your computer technician course or program does not require, at the very minimum, basic algebra or introductory algebra, this would be surprising. Good basic arithmetic might be good but not enough.

Likes PeroK
symbolipoint said:
Good basic arithmetic might be good but not enough.
Good point! I completely missed the opportunity to say that, while this may seem like a math exercise in manipulating symbols, you would be distinguished among your peers (of job candidates) if you could develop (and demonstrate, if asked) a physical comprehension of the terms: voltage, current, resistance, power and, of course, energy.

I'm familiar and studied algebra in the past, I'm just a bit mentally challenged about the squared and the question I'm being asked but I'll do more further studies and research. Thank you for your time!

1. What is the relationship between Volts Squared and Ohms Law?

The relationship between Volts Squared and Ohms Law is that they are both formulas used to calculate electrical properties. Ohms Law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. Volts Squared is a formula used to calculate the power dissipated in a circuit, given the voltage and resistance values.

2. How is Ohms Law used in practical applications?

Ohms Law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits. It is also used in calculating the appropriate size of conductors and determining the maximum allowable current for a specific circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Volts Squared?

The unit of measurement for Volts Squared is watts (W), which represents the rate of energy transfer or power in an electrical circuit.

4. Can Ohms Law be applied to both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, Ohms Law can be applied to both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, the calculations may differ slightly for AC circuits due to the presence of reactance, which is the opposition to the flow of current caused by inductance and capacitance.

5. What is the significance of Volts Squared in electrical engineering?

In electrical engineering, Volts Squared is significant because it helps in understanding the power dissipation and energy efficiency of a circuit. It is also used in determining the maximum power that can be delivered to a load without exceeding the safe limits of the circuit components.