1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume and Pressure Cylinders

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem comes straight from a 2001 AP Physics B test

2. Relevant equations
    PV = nRT

KE = 3/2KT

deltaU = Q+W

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, for the first two (a and b) I arrived at an answer of double the initial pressure of State 1 and half of the initial volume of State 1. This was because after I drew myself a little P vs. V graph, I knew the two States had to be on the same isotherm, so pressure had to increase in order for volume to decrease. Also, I just realized as I write this, if T is constant, in PV = nRT that means nRT is a constant and as P increases, V must decrease.
    I'm pretty sure that's right, if it's wrong, I would appreciate clarification.

For c I got Isobaric, simply because isothermal and adiabatic do not work.

For d I got Yes, 4 --> 1 is isobaric simply because I drew a P versus V graph and since it has to go back to the same isotherm State 2 was on, but volume had to decrease, it had to be isobaric.

I do not understand e. I'm having a hardtime knowing what the weight does...do you have to use P = F/A?

Thanks for any help at all on this, any corrections if im wrong and any elaboration on any topic is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted