1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume and pressure

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When physicians diagnose arterial blockages, they quote the reduction in flow rate. If the flow rate in an artery has been reduced to 30% of its normal value due to plaque formation, and the average pressure difference has increased by 30%, by what factor has the plaque reduced the radius of the artery?

2. Relevant equations

Poiseuille's Law.

3. The attempt at a solution

what i used was R=(.7/1.3)^.25 and get that only 85.6% of the radius of the artery is available, and has been reduced by 14.4%
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2
    I think you want to use .3 in the numerator, ie

flow is now 30 percent of original, not been reduced by 30%
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    wouldn't the presure rate be increased by .3 so from its original, which is 1 and add .3 for the increase. But yeah i just tried .3 and it didnt work
  5. Apr 11, 2007 #4
    Its both .3 and 1.3, (.3/1.3)^.25 is that what you tried?
  6. Apr 11, 2007 #5
    yeah you are right denverdoc! thx
  7. Apr 11, 2007 #6
    NP. FYI when occlusion reaches 80 percent and above, bad news. This guy has lost some exercise tolerance but still in decent shape re meeting oxygen demands.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?